Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a USB-c drive to a Thunderbolt 2 Port

Is there ant way to connect a USB-C ssd external drive to an iMac with a Thunderbolt 2 Port?

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 10:40 AM

Well, there are no real solutions for taking a USB-C drive to a Thunderbolt 2 Mac, if the drive does not have an external power supply. Unfortunately, you will have to deal with the slightly slower speeds of USB. A SSD though is still really fast!

Cheers,

Jack

6 replies

Jan 26, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

First thanks for your prompt response, unfortunately my USB-C SSD NVMe drive does not have a separate power supply to enable use of the Apple adapter. I would consider investing in one with a separate power supply if I could find one.

Because I use this drive to move between different devices (none of which have anything better than USB-C) I already have a USB 3 adapter similar to your second suggestion but if I can I would really like to find a way of connecting to the Thunderbolt 2 port on my iMac (with internal ssd and no USB-C) for the occaisional more intensive work. Also the extra for a Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C drive plus adapter doesn't seem like good value for my purposes but it may be my only solution as I can see that a number of other have asking for similar information.

Thanks again.

Connecting a USB-c drive to a Thunderbolt 2 Port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.