Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB C to Thunderbolt 2 cable or adapter

I want to connect a Late 2014 iMac Thunderbolt port to a SSD drive with a USB C port. Is there a cable or can I use the Apple USB C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter plus a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable?

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 4:58 PM

I have the same issue. I'm not sure I agree with your recommendation. Based on Apple's own site:

This adapter is bidirectional, which means you can use it to connect Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac that has a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port. In that case, the Mac must be using macOS Sierra or later, and the device using Thunderbolt 3 must provide its own power.

I just purchased a LaCie HDD with USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connection and no external power. Based on the above from Apple, there is no power coming from my Thunderbolt 2 port (MacBook Pro 2013). So there is nothing to power the HDD.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2021 4:58 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have the same issue. I'm not sure I agree with your recommendation. Based on Apple's own site:

This adapter is bidirectional, which means you can use it to connect Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac that has a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port. In that case, the Mac must be using macOS Sierra or later, and the device using Thunderbolt 3 must provide its own power.

I just purchased a LaCie HDD with USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connection and no external power. Based on the above from Apple, there is no power coming from my Thunderbolt 2 port (MacBook Pro 2013). So there is nothing to power the HDD.

USB C to Thunderbolt 2 cable or adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.