Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download MacOS Catalina

I'm currently running El Capitan on a Mac Mini (late 2014 version with 8GB memory). I'd like to download Catalina, but I keep getting messages that the item is not available in the App Store. If Catalina is still supported, why can't I download the OS for installation?

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 7:35 AM

Hardware was never an issue - my 1G internal hard disk is only about 20-25% full, and the Mac Mini itself is on the list of Macs supported by Catalina.

I did finally and accidentally discover the cause of the problem. I was using the Firefox browser to access the App store and apparently it has a problem with the Apple Store using iTunes. Someone else thought it might be a userid issue, so I logged on as Administrator, and on that userid, the only browser I had ready access to was Safari. When I tried using Safari, I was able to successfully download the Catalina installer. So, out of curiosity, I logged back in as my regular userid, and attempted to access the Catalina page using Safari - and was likewise successful. I'm running the installer now.

So: long story short: browser issue.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 7:35 AM in response to MyApple8MyPC

Hardware was never an issue - my 1G internal hard disk is only about 20-25% full, and the Mac Mini itself is on the list of Macs supported by Catalina.

I did finally and accidentally discover the cause of the problem. I was using the Firefox browser to access the App store and apparently it has a problem with the Apple Store using iTunes. Someone else thought it might be a userid issue, so I logged on as Administrator, and on that userid, the only browser I had ready access to was Safari. When I tried using Safari, I was able to successfully download the Catalina installer. So, out of curiosity, I logged back in as my regular userid, and attempted to access the Catalina page using Safari - and was likewise successful. I'm running the installer now.

So: long story short: browser issue.

Unable to download MacOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.