Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using old iMac as monitor for miniMac w/ M1 chip

I have an iMac 21.5 in Late 2012 w/ 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. The graphics is Nvidia GeForce GT 640m 512MB. There are no more updates available. Thinking about getting a miniMac w/the M1 chip. Does it make sense to use my old iMac as the monitor?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 10:32 AM

2020 M1 Macs do not support Target Display Mode. So you can't actually use it as a monitor for it.

Also, even if you could use it, you would be unable to use the full supported resolution of the Mac Mini of 6K. Since the iMac's display maxes out at 2560 x 1600.

4 replies

Jan 26, 2021 10:50 AM in response to Jack-19

Here are the actual requirements, condensed and reorganized from that confusing archived article and recent developments.

VIDEO SOURCE COMPUTER (the one sending the video signal to an external monitor):

• A 2019 or older Intel Mac running macOS 10.15 Catalina or older.
  • Apple Silicon Macs are not supported
  • mac OS11 Big Sur is not supported.

TARGET COMPUTER (the one to be an external monitor):

• An iMac 27-inch (Late 2009 and Mid 2010)
  • any iMac from Mid 2011 to Mid 2014.
  • The target computer must run no higher macOS than OS 10.13.X High Sierra.

Jan 26, 2021 10:56 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack.

FYI, Catalina still works with TDM on 2019 and older Intel Macs that are the video source. There are plenty of posts here that confirm.

That support article must have been written by the Department of Obfuscation! It has even confused long-serving senior contributors here. That is why I assembled the condensed version I posted, which you are welcome to use.

Good to have you aboard!

Using old iMac as monitor for miniMac w/ M1 chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.