Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone any experience of using the Reactivate App that allows you to run Aperture in macOS Big

Reactive is an App that allows Aperture to run under Big Sur. anyone any experience of using it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2021 1:37 AM

I am using Aperture 3.6 under Big Sur 11.2.3. For me, it is usable though i am experiencing frequent crashes.

I use it to crop and enhance scanned film negatives. Sometimes I can process one roll without problems, sometimes it crashes 3 times. but only the edits on the last picture are lost. Since I do not need slideshows and have not yet found an alternative that I am comfortable with, I continue using Aperture. Many thanks to the maker(s) of Retroactive!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2021 1:37 AM in response to HugoMe

I am using Aperture 3.6 under Big Sur 11.2.3. For me, it is usable though i am experiencing frequent crashes.

I use it to crop and enhance scanned film negatives. Sometimes I can process one roll without problems, sometimes it crashes 3 times. but only the edits on the last picture are lost. Since I do not need slideshows and have not yet found an alternative that I am comfortable with, I continue using Aperture. Many thanks to the maker(s) of Retroactive!

Feb 22, 2021 1:55 PM in response to jimlaide

While the website says that it works with Big Sur, I have not gotten it to work in Big Sur on a 2014 MBP, even though it did work in Big Sur before the OS went live, if you know what I mean. I am able to run Aperture 3.6 in Catalina, but features to do with sharing to old iLife apps and creating slideshows do not work at all as that code is 32bit and is removed by Retroactive.

Mar 16, 2021 5:28 AM in response to MikeEee53

No, Aperture does not run under Big Sur.

Clean installation of latest Big Sur on external SSD using MacBook Pro16 (2019). Fresh download of Aperture (3.6) from App Store. Run latest version of Retroactive (1.9). Retroactive responds OK - "can run Aperture".

Aperture sort of runs but I cannot import image files from an external drive. Click on import, select drive but the window that should show thumbnails of files to import stays blank. Trying to import from files from the boot drive does appear to work.

Viewing the contents of folders in Aperture library half works. Some blocks of images appear in the browser, but there are large blank blocks. Clicking on a blank area sometimes results in the images in that block appearing - but blocks which did have images then go blank. The number of items displayed shown at the bottom of the browser window is correct (i.e. it reflects the number of items in the folder) and the browser window scrolls as if all the images were there - but they are not.

Tried using external drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and as APFS - makes no difference.

Same version of Aperture, same version of Retroactive, same external drives - all works perfectly under Catalina with no glitches.

Mar 16, 2021 5:49 AM in response to jimlaide

I am only using it to open older Aperture libraries for browsing, when I want to compare the dates and times and metadata in the original Aperture Library to what I am seeing in the migrated library. The Retroactive patch is also coming in handy to repair an Aperture Library, if Photos for Mac cannot open and migrate it otherwise. And to ensure, tat all edited versions are having high resolution previews. But the patched Retroactive version is limited by the new security features in Big Sur and the missing 32-bit frameworks. It is not possible to export a slideshow, And there are a lot of problems with referenced files. It des not suffice to keep working with Aperture, it just helps with the migration when we forgot to migrate a library before the Big Sur upgrade or want to repeat the migration.

Has anyone any experience of using the Reactivate App that allows you to run Aperture in macOS Big

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.