Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App compatibility with M1 chip Macs

I am probably going to get a new Mac with the M1 chip. My current set up is seriously out of date. I have several "legacy" apps that I currently run and am trying to determine if any will be compatible or will I need to buy more recent versions:

Photoshop Elements 2020

Photoshop CS5

Quicken for Mac 2007

Office for Mac 2011

MacBook

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 6:35 AM

10 replies

Jan 27, 2021 7:42 AM in response to MikeLV

If the Old Apps can be upgraded to Intel 64 Bit ( $$ involved ) Big Sur does have Rosetta 2 which will offer to install when that type of Application is started. It will function to interpret the Intel code and run in Rosetta 2. Food for thought.

Glad to assist and thank you for marking it as such. Do come back to the forums if more issues arise or just to offer your help to others.

Jan 27, 2021 8:51 AM in response to Phil0124

I figured that was probably the case. I guess I can't really complain considering how long ago I bought them. I definitely got my money's worth.

The only thing that I find annoying is the way they all are migrating to the subscription model instead of simple one-time purchase. C'est la vie.

Thank you for your support and advice. Greatly appreciated.

Jan 27, 2021 10:10 AM in response to MikeLV

FWIW, there are non-subscription options via alternative apps

for these that you mention:

Photoshop CS5 -> Affinity Photo as one choice but if you already

have Photoshop 2020 elements perhaps it isn't needed.

Quicken for Mac 2007 -> Check the MacApp Store for a whole variety of

personal money management solutions.

Office for Mac 2011 -> You can still buy a non-subscription version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/buy?atc=true&rtc=1

There are also free alternatives like Libre Office which is quite compatible

and there are also Apple's own offerings when you buy a new Mac

(Pages, Numbers, and Keynote)

Jan 27, 2021 11:16 AM in response to MikeLV

The current version of Quicken (6.1.0) is a universal binary that runs natively on both Intel and M1 Macs. The new owners of Quicken have made great strides in Mac compatibility and features.

As with a growing number of major apps Quicken is now a subscription based model. For me it’s worth it to have continuous updates, bug fixes, and new features.

Jan 27, 2021 2:29 PM in response to MikeLV

I did not try to install my copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 on my M1 MacBook Air. I did purchase and install Photoshop Elements 2021 a few hours ago. It works just fine. I believe there are a couple of edge case scenarios where bugs have been found, but Adobe is working on those.

For my workflow, Photoshop Elements 2021 is running perfectly under Rosetta 2 on the M1 MacBook Air. I'm very happy about that.

I did also purchase Pixelmator Pro, which is running as a Universal App, and I like the features that it has as well.

Lee

P. S. Here's an excerpt from Adobe's support website regarding Photoshop Elements 2021 and Big Sur:

Known compatibility issues with Photoshop Elements

Adobe has discovered the compatibility issues listed below with running Photoshop Elements 2021.0 with macOS 11.0 (Big Sur).

Disk error

When you select Enhance Colorize Photo, you get the disk error. We are working to address this issue.

Photoshop Elements creates a blank canvas

When you copy an image from Elements Organizer and then select File > New >  Image from Clipboard, Photoshop Elements creates a blank canvas. We are working to address this issue.

App compatibility with M1 chip Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.