Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight Search no longer catalogs .RTF files as of Big Sur 11.0 and 11.0. What can I do?

I use Text Edit a lot and have many important documents I created in Text Edit saved in .RTF format. As of the release of Big Sur, a Spotlight word search absolutely cannot find .RTF files containing my search word or phrase.

Strangely, Spotlight works perfectly to find .RTFD files containing the search word or phrase! This is a huge problem for me, forcing me to save files as RTFD or Word docs so that they will be cataloged by Spotlight and searchable. Any idea how to fix this? I've already submitted a bug report to Apple.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 2:56 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 27, 2021 6:05 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you so much! I sure hope Apple is aware of this. I know it will be super easy to fix because Spotlight (or just searching via my Finder) has always worked so amazingly well. I draw from about 30,000 .txt, .doc, .pdf, .rtf, and docx. files to find just the text I need for whatever writing project I'm working on.

Your workaround is great, but now I'll have to do TWO searches every time I want to find something! One for all the other types of docs and one for the .RTF files. I've found several posts on the Internet about this problem. I sure hope Apple solves it in the next update!

Jan 28, 2021 6:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you so much for looking into this. You have helped me before. Would you please submit this problem to Apple? You must have a thousand times more clout with Apple than I do. I submitted a simple bug report to them already, but one from a developer might get them to move on this. I was surprised they missed it with 11.1. I sure would hate to have to convert all my RTF files into Word docs or RTFD files, because then I'd lose the important (to me) file dates of all of them.

Spotlight Search no longer catalogs .RTF files as of Big Sur 11.0 and 11.0. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.