Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FireVault, encryption issues

I have turned off FireVault as it was making my Mac run slow (according to genius at Apple). But a box has come up with the systems pref logo and msg re my ability to use the Mac while disc is being decrypted etc. But in that box there are 2 options - cancel or turn off encryption. I turn off encryption (even though I thought I’d already done this. But nothing happens. Thoughts? What does this mean. Surely my laptop isn’t running that slow?

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 6:59 AM

gillalow wrote:

I have turned off FireVault as it was making my Mac run slow (according to genius at Apple). But a box has come up with the systems pref logo and msg re my ability to use the Mac while disc is being decrypted etc. But in that box there are 2 options - cancel or turn off encryption. I turn off encryption (even though I thought I’d already done this. But nothing happens. Thoughts? What does this mean. Surely my laptop isn’t running that slow?

You have to let the Mac finish the encryption / decryption process before you make further changes.

All or nothing, flipping the switch back and forth is no good.

You can see the state of FileVault in your

>System Preference>Security & Privacy>FileVault

ref: Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple ...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2021 6:59 AM in response to gillalow

gillalow wrote:

You have to let the Mac finish the encryption / decryption process before you make further changes.

All or nothing, flipping the switch back and forth is no good.

You can see the state of FileVault in your

>System Preference>Security & Privacy>FileVault

ref: Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple ...

Jan 28, 2021 10:43 PM in response to gillalow

Filevault doesn't impact system performance that much even when using a slow hard drive. Either you have a software issue, a file system issue, or you have a failing hard drive.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics. However, the diagnostics don't detect a lot of drive failures so run DriveDx to check the health of the hard drive. Post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

To look for possible software issues, run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

FireVault, encryption issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.