Early 2011 MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra, FileVault Encryption Preventing Bootcamp Partition

I have recently changed out the hard drive in my early 2011 (model A1297) MacBook Pro and installed the High Sierra macOS. On completion of the OS installation I was asked whether to enable the FireVault encryption mechanism. Somewhat foolishly, without conducting the proper research beforehand, I said Yes, and then forgot about it.

Today I went to continue my laptop restoration by setting up a Windows partition using the Bootcamp facility. However this proved impossible due to the ongoing encryption. On investigation, the encryption progress had reached 2.02%. Attempting to deactivate FileVault I learned too late that this was impossible until the encryption process had completed. Over the last four hours the process has moved forward another 0.08%. At this rate i calculate that it won't be complete for another 202 days. This matches the "more than a day" estimate presented in the Security & Privacy section in Preferences. My hard drive is 1TB capacity, of which about 40GB is in use.

Research here in the Discussions forum leads me to believe that I have no option but to wait until November to continue setting up the laptop. Research elsewhere implies that there may be other ways (without having to re-build the hard drive from scratch again).

I'd be grateful for thoughts or ideas on potential solutions to my predicament.

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2023 5:45 AM

Your drive is partly encrypted.

You can do most regular things while the conversion continues, but you either wait for it to complete, or you ERASE the drive and start over.

Did you install an SSD drive or a rotating magnetic drive?

Did you replace the drive cable?

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 24, 2023 7:04 AM in response to Glenikins

Users who install an SSD drive report, "it's like getting a whole new Computer!"

Users who have problems often end up replacing the cable. if not during the upgrade, the increased speed of the SSD drive can cause subtle errors, and they end up replacing it later anyway. Think of it as "preventive maintenance.".

Even a slow SSD drive can be around ten times faster than a rotating magnetic drive.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra, FileVault Encryption Preventing Bootcamp Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.