Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I be sure that a partiton encryption completed?

I encrypted a non-boot partition on an internal SSD, using the standard OS encryption for OS 10.13 (High Sierra) on a 2014 Macbook Pro. But when I returned to the computer, it had restarted. The partition appears to have been encrypted successfully, but I am uneasy that the encryption might not have completed. Still, afterwards, I did an encryption erase of the partition, then repartitioned the drive into one partition and encryption-erased that again. This is in preparation for sending the ssd back to China, so I am ... concerned. The drive fails due to heat issues, so I had to keep everything cold during these processes.

The other partitions on the drive encrypted without incident, and FileVault seems to have completed successfully, so I am not worried about the other partitions.

Yes, I know this is a bit complicated!

Would MacOS have "known" if the encryption was incomplete, the way it keeps track with a filevault encryption?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 6:31 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 9, 2022 7:18 PM in response to MidAtlantian2014

Hi,

You can keep track of progress in the Terminal app, as explained here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/60683/how-to-view-progress-when-encrypting-a-disk

I don't remember if this was true in HS, but in Catalina and later you can also see encrypted partitions in Disk Utility and using Get Info. I don't know what it would show if the encryption was in progress.

Mar 9, 2022 9:25 PM in response to tjk

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The partitions appear to be encrypted, but in one case, I checked the progress using Terminal after 15 minutes and it was 16% completed. When I checked 30 minutes later, it was done - which does not "compute". The encryption of the other partition may have crashed, and I do not know if it really completed, even though it too "acts" as it it were completed, requiring a password when I restart.

I know that FileVault keeps track of its progress, even through restarts, but I do not know if the more garden variety encrypt is that sophisticated.

Can I be sure that a partiton encryption completed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.