Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is FileVault encryption on an internal SSD (Macintosh HD) sufficient to consider the disk erased?

I have to turn in my Macbook Pro (mid 2009, OSX 10.11) to my former employer. I have been using Filevault encryption for the past several years. I manually deleted most of the relevant directories and files by dragging them to the Trash and emptying the Trash. Would the encryption on the internal SSD be considered an "erased" disk?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 2:37 AM

FileVault Encrypts the the Entire Drive with a password only you know.

What should be done before returning the computer to the company is What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac or their IT Department will be left with a useless piece of equipment.

3 replies

Is FileVault encryption on an internal SSD (Macintosh HD) sufficient to consider the disk erased?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.