Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Securely wiping the SSD

I am about to trade-in my Macbook 2017 (with intel M3 core) through Apple.

Using Disk Utility, I erased the SSD and reinstalled the Mac OS (just simply followed the steps in Apple website). Would it be secure enough to protect my personal data not being recovered ? ( Given that I haven't enabled FileVault )

MacBook

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2022 10:42 AM

SSDs, unlike HDDs, cannot have data recovered from them after an erase. In an HDD, the computer simply 'forgets' that a file is present there, leaving it open to be overwritten (this is why Disk Utility offers a 'secure erase' function that passes a pattern of zeros over the whole disk- three times is the industry standard). In an SSD, the files are permanently erased immediately.

Assuming you erased the disk correctly, that data is gone for good.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2022 10:42 AM in response to H500

SSDs, unlike HDDs, cannot have data recovered from them after an erase. In an HDD, the computer simply 'forgets' that a file is present there, leaving it open to be overwritten (this is why Disk Utility offers a 'secure erase' function that passes a pattern of zeros over the whole disk- three times is the industry standard). In an SSD, the files are permanently erased immediately.

Assuming you erased the disk correctly, that data is gone for good.

Securely wiping the SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.