Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted data recovery without password and computer unable to log in

While doing a software update, MacOS 10.15.7, I closed my MacBook Pro 2013 before it was finished, so it seemed I hit corrupted. Now every time I try to log in, in less than 10 seconds, it shuts down. I took it to the Apple store and they said they can reset it but I need to recover my data. I have taken it to two different places to recover the data. They say the keychain password or the password to get the data from the hard drive is not been recognized. The data is encrypted. The FileVault is disabled as far as I know, What can I do to recover my data? Extra information: 

Before shutting down, my screen said “Decryption completed” “your volume has been decrypted. You may restart and log in your Mac normally” When try to log in, I entered my password, it starts to log in and immediately shuts down. How can I get the data if I can’t keep the Mac on and it the hard drive is not recognizing the password? Help please. Thank you!

many suggestions where to take it? Live in Jacksonville, Florida. The Apple store don’t do data recovery.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 4:27 PM

Hi Leidy_D128,

Based on the description provided (the extra info is especially helpful), I'm guessing you performed these steps to disable FileVault:

1. Summon the Password Reset Assistant by waiting at the FileVault login screen for 1 minute, force your Mac to shut down, then power on.
  2. Choose "My keyboard isn't working".

When the assistant says that decryption is complete, it is telling a half-truth. Your drive is not truly decrypted; it is only starting the decryption process and just made the required changes to your startup disk in order to facilitate decryption.

Now, normally, macOS would start up, and use the decryption key to start safely decrypting your data. However, it seems that there's a problem with the decryption process, which could complicate recovery efforts.

I'd first do Grant's suggestion and run First Aid to try to fix any problems. If that doesn't work, you could try the below steps, which create an additional macOS installation to use for recovering data.

1. Start up in macOS Recovery.
  2. If prompted to authenticate as an admin, do so to continue.
  3. Open Disk Utility.
  4. Click the (+) button near the top left corner of the window. Choose these details, then click Add:
    1. Name: Whatever you want, but NOT "Macintosh HD"
    2. Format: APFS
  5. Quit Disk Utility, then select (Re)Install macOS.
  6. Select the new APFS volume as the destination, then start the install.
  7. When Setup Assistant appears, don't migrate any data. Instead, create a temporary administrator account, then finish the Setup Assistant.
  8. If you're asked for a password to unlock your normal startup disk, supply your normal login password that you originally had.
  9. Open a new Finder window. Hopefully your normal startup disk (likely named "Macintosh HD") should appear in the sidebar of the Finder window. If it does, click on it - you might be able to view your data.

If you are able to successfully view the contents of your normal startup disk, which includes Library, System, Applications, and Users, do one of the following:

• Copy the Applications and Users folder to an external drive, or:
  • If you have over half of your internal drive available as free space (check Apple menu -> About This Mac), run Migration Assistant and migrate your data from your old startup disk. Then use Disk Utility to delete the old startup disk.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 4:27 PM in response to Leidy_D128

Hi Leidy_D128,

Based on the description provided (the extra info is especially helpful), I'm guessing you performed these steps to disable FileVault:

1. Summon the Password Reset Assistant by waiting at the FileVault login screen for 1 minute, force your Mac to shut down, then power on.
  2. Choose "My keyboard isn't working".

When the assistant says that decryption is complete, it is telling a half-truth. Your drive is not truly decrypted; it is only starting the decryption process and just made the required changes to your startup disk in order to facilitate decryption.

Now, normally, macOS would start up, and use the decryption key to start safely decrypting your data. However, it seems that there's a problem with the decryption process, which could complicate recovery efforts.

I'd first do Grant's suggestion and run First Aid to try to fix any problems. If that doesn't work, you could try the below steps, which create an additional macOS installation to use for recovering data.

1. Start up in macOS Recovery.
  2. If prompted to authenticate as an admin, do so to continue.
  3. Open Disk Utility.
  4. Click the (+) button near the top left corner of the window. Choose these details, then click Add:
    1. Name: Whatever you want, but NOT "Macintosh HD"
    2. Format: APFS
  5. Quit Disk Utility, then select (Re)Install macOS.
  6. Select the new APFS volume as the destination, then start the install.
  7. When Setup Assistant appears, don't migrate any data. Instead, create a temporary administrator account, then finish the Setup Assistant.
  8. If you're asked for a password to unlock your normal startup disk, supply your normal login password that you originally had.
  9. Open a new Finder window. Hopefully your normal startup disk (likely named "Macintosh HD") should appear in the sidebar of the Finder window. If it does, click on it - you might be able to view your data.

If you are able to successfully view the contents of your normal startup disk, which includes Library, System, Applications, and Users, do one of the following:

• Copy the Applications and Users folder to an external drive, or:
  • If you have over half of your internal drive available as free space (check Apple menu -> About This Mac), run Migration Assistant and migrate your data from your old startup disk. Then use Disk Utility to delete the old startup disk.

Encrypted data recovery without password and computer unable to log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.