Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing music with Big Sur OS 11.1

This seems complicated. I have just moved from Windows PC to Macbook Pro. I had my music collection on an external hard drive, now no longer accessible to the Mac. The music copied from that source onto my iPhone still plays so ideally I’d like to keep that. I am copying new CDs onto my Macbook and would like to add them to my iPhone.

It seems that I can’t copy a single CD to my iPhone from my Macbook, so can only sync the whole library. Apple Support have confirmed that I have to choose whether I keep the Mac Library or the iPhone library. to get new music I have to keep the Mac library but this will lose the music on the iPhone. OK, I can re-import the CDs to the Mac, but the Music library on the Mac is now much bigger than available space on the iPhone. What happens if I try to sync the Mac/iPhone when one is much bigger?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 7:49 AM

Hello Headington Marion,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We'll be glad to assist you with syncing music to your iPhone.

When you sync your iPhone with your Mac, it will remove all the music you previously synced from your PC. Then it will sync the music that's on your Mac to your iPhone. If you don't have enough storage space on your iPhone to complete this, you'll need to sync less music. You can make a playlist and sync only the playlist, to the iPhone. This will guide you: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer

Let us know if you have other questions.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 7:49 AM in response to Headington Marion

Hello Headington Marion,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We'll be glad to assist you with syncing music to your iPhone.

When you sync your iPhone with your Mac, it will remove all the music you previously synced from your PC. Then it will sync the music that's on your Mac to your iPhone. If you don't have enough storage space on your iPhone to complete this, you'll need to sync less music. You can make a playlist and sync only the playlist, to the iPhone. This will guide you: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer

Let us know if you have other questions.

Have a great day!

Managing music with Big Sur OS 11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.