Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts Password Required

I have a MacBook Pro (2016) running Big Sur (but the same issues happened in previous versions)

I get a message bubble at the top right of my screen saying "CONTACTS PASSWORD REQUIRED"

if I hit continue, it brings me to my internet accounts; there I have three accounts, including iCloud. I have tried re-inputting my password in all three, and they all accept their passwords as correct, but the message keeps coming back.

I should mention that my contacts app works fine. I can look up anyone and any changes made pushes to my phone and visa-versa, I just always get this annoying pop-up. Any thoughts?

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 6:46 AM

Hey Mikepinz,

We see you have a recurring pop-up to enter a Contacts password. Despite entering your account password, the message keeps popping up.

To aid us in isolating this issue, can you confirm the following?

• When looking through your accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts, are your contacts synced through iCloud or does a different provider have the Contacts box checked? If so, which provider?
  • After entering your password, does the message disappear for an extended amount of time, such as until the next day? Or does it come right back?
  • Does the issue persist in safe mode? Start up your Mac in safe mode

Let us know, and we will follow up from there.

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2021 6:46 AM in response to Mikepinz

Hey Mikepinz,

We see you have a recurring pop-up to enter a Contacts password. Despite entering your account password, the message keeps popping up.

To aid us in isolating this issue, can you confirm the following?

• When looking through your accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts, are your contacts synced through iCloud or does a different provider have the Contacts box checked? If so, which provider?
  • After entering your password, does the message disappear for an extended amount of time, such as until the next day? Or does it come right back?
  • Does the issue persist in safe mode? Start up your Mac in safe mode

Let us know, and we will follow up from there.

Cheers!

Feb 1, 2021 12:31 PM in response to Mikepinz

Hey Mikepinz,

Thank you for the additional details.

You mentioned that the issue did not occur while you were in safe mode. If that's the case, follow the steps under "If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode" in the article previously provided. Here it is again in you need it: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

The last step in that section of the article is reinstalling macOS onto your MacBook Pro. This process does not delete your data, however it does reinstall the core OS system files.

After the reinstall completes, it can be expected for the computer to be a little sluggish for a few hours as it finishes the reinstall and re-index of Spotlight in the background. Moreover, let us know if that pop-up continues after that point.

Cheers!

Jan 31, 2021 3:04 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hey Joseph, thanks for taking the time to try to help. I only use iCloud contacts. When I open my internet counts, there are three things there; iCloud with most everything (including contacts) toggled on, AOL mail which ONLY has mail toggled on and Game Center which I really don't even use. Completely signing out of iCloud and back in is a pain in the neck, so I Don't do it often. I recall that when I do sign out and back in, the message comes back pretty quick.

I restarted in Safe Boot and I did not get the error message, but the computer was significantly slower and even crashed after about 15 minutes. (that is, it froze while using Safari andI had to force a restart.)

I must relay again that my contacts seems to be fine. They push to my phone and visa versa. I just get that stupid error window constantly. I "flick" it away and it comes back after a few minutes.

Contacts Password Required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.