You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Contacts Password" Prompt on MacBook Pro Mail 16.0

I have a MacBook Pro and I have 2 AOL accounts set up and have for years. One very annoying thing happens whenever I check my email. I get prompted for a Contacts password for both AOL accounts. No other emails. I do not use AOL for my contacts, only my MacBook which syncs with my other Apple devices. Why does this happen? Is there a way to fix it so it does not happen?

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 3:44 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 29, 2023 11:08 AM in response to CyberGrunt

Hey CyberGrunt,

If you go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts > See if you can check for Contacts in the accounts there.

"Check your password in Internet Accounts preferences

Depending on the type of email account you're using, you might be able to correct the password as follows:

1. Quit Mail. If it doesn't quit, you can force it to quit.
  2. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences), then click Internet Accounts.
  3. Click your mail account.
  4. Click the Details button, if present.
  5. If you see a password field for your account, delete the password and type the correct password.
  6. Close the settings window, then open Mail and try using your account again."

If Mail on your Mac keeps asking for your password - Apple Support

Keep us posted.

Jan 26, 2023 3:02 PM in response to CyberGrunt

Hey CyberGrunt,

We'd like to help out. To clarify, when you use Mail on your Mac, you get a prompt that specifies a password for Contacts? When you enter the password, does it seem to accept it?

Can you verify your exact macOS version from Apple menu () > About This Mac?

We also want to double-check. Did you already look at Contacts > Settings > Accounts to make sure neither AOL account shows up there? Change Accounts settings in Contacts on Mac

If you've checked that to verify the AOL accounts are not turned on in Contacts on your Mac, let us know your macOS version and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2023 2:27 AM in response to ryane77

Hi Ryane77,

I am using Monterey OS 12.6.3 & Mail is version 16.0. The prompt never allows me to enter a password, when I press "Continue" a tab appears with my internet accounts. If I select the AOL account with the for which the Contact prompt is associated a text box appears with the email and name on account. There is no box for a password. I have also checked the AOL accounts on AOL.com I have no contacts in either account which I was pretty sure of but wanted to double check.

Next I went to Contacts and this is where I found I have both AOL account listed. I did as you suggested I went into Contacts>Accounts>selected both AOL email accounts and deselected the Contacts from each....then they disappeared. My fingers are crossed, you folks are wonderful. I actually had fun taking care of this, it was a cool learning experience.

Jan 30, 2023 8:22 AM in response to CyberGrunt

Hi, I am really sorry. This is a little embarrassing as I have spoken too soon. This morning while opening my email the prompt for both AOL email accounts "Password Required" popped up. This time I took a screen shot. As stated in my earlier post I am using Monterey OS 12.6.3 & Mail is version 16.0. I have attached a screen shot and blocked out my email account names for privacy, I'm sure you understand.

Ryane77 suggested I go to Contacts>Accounts select both accounts to see if "Contacts" is checked...it is not checked....any ideas? Thank you all very much.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

"Contacts Password" Prompt on MacBook Pro Mail 16.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.