Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

asking for password contacts

Every morning my Imac (Ventura 13.3) ask for my contact password. I need to enter it once - maybe twice - maybe 4 times before it is accepted. I've tried the log out of icloud but issues persists.

Thoughts? thanks!

iMac 24″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 8:34 AM

We appreciate you confirming those settings Peter Ryan.

Our next suggested step is to create a test user profile on your Mac, log in to it, set up Contacts with your iCloud account as you have it here, then see if you are prompted for the password repeatedly.

This will help narrow down if the issue is specific to your user profile. We look forward to hearing how it goes.

Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

All the best.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 8:34 AM in response to Peter Ryan

We appreciate you confirming those settings Peter Ryan.

Our next suggested step is to create a test user profile on your Mac, log in to it, set up Contacts with your iCloud account as you have it here, then see if you are prompted for the password repeatedly.

This will help narrow down if the issue is specific to your user profile. We look forward to hearing how it goes.

Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

All the best.

Apr 6, 2023 2:22 PM in response to Peter Ryan

Hey there Peter Ryan,

Great job already ruling out being outdated by having macOS 13.3 installed. We'd like to help by first learning more about what's happening, along with ruling out some possible causes:

1. When did this start?
  2. What exactly occurs when you enter the password after seeing this prompt? Does it accept the password, then shows again after some time?
  3. We see it blurred out in your screenshot, but have you already tested going to that account provider's website to see if you had any issues signing in there?
  4. Do you see this same message for other internet accounts you've set up in your Mac?
  5. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart. Check out the section ‘Restart your Mac' here: Shut down or restart your Mac

Cheers!

Apr 6, 2023 9:23 PM in response to Jeff_W.

1.    When did this start?

3 weeks ago

2.    What exactly occurs when you enter the password after seeing this prompt? Does it accept the password, then shows again after some time?

Hit and miss – may accept password – I may need to enter 2-3 times.

It will then pop up an hour or so later

3.    We see it blurred out in your screenshot, but have you already tested going to that account provider's website to see if you had any issues signing in there?

No issues logging into Apple ID (etc) sites.

4.    Do you see this same message for other internet accounts you've set up in your Mac?

No – just on my iMac

5.    Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart. Check out the section ‘Restart your Mac' here: Shut down or restart your Mac

I’ve restarted more times then I can count.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2023 8:39 AM in response to Peter Ryan

Hi Peter Ryan,

Got it. Is this affecting an iCloud account or is it a 3rd party email account prompting you for your password? If it's a third party email. Do you have any issues logging into their email using a web browser? We'd be curious to know if you can manually log in, rather than using a saved password to sign in.

Then, we'd like you to try booting into safe mode to see if you're prompted for the same sign in there. This mode will check for errors on your computer and block some log in items from loading so you can start to isolate this issue

How to use safe mode
Determine whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps:

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Intel processor
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 

You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window

Once you know if this issue happens in safe mode or not, check out this link about what to do next: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how that goes.

Take care.

asking for password contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.