Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone randomly shuts off

I just recently updated my phone this week and out of the blue it will just randomly shut off and every other time it shuts off I have to manually turn it back on. What can I do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 12:19 PM

CaseyGeorge ~ What model of iPhone is it? Shutting off can be a symptom of a battery in need of replacement:

"...The power management system determines the capability of the battery to supply this power, and manages the loads in order to maintain operations. When the operations can no longer be supported with the full capabilities of the power management system, the system will perform a shutdown to preserve these electronic components. While this shutdown is intentional from the device perspective, it may be unexpected by the user." [Source: Apple]

…So, if the battery of your iPhone is the original one, it quite likely needs replacement:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2021 12:19 PM in response to CaseyGeorge

CaseyGeorge ~ What model of iPhone is it? Shutting off can be a symptom of a battery in need of replacement:

"...The power management system determines the capability of the battery to supply this power, and manages the loads in order to maintain operations. When the operations can no longer be supported with the full capabilities of the power management system, the system will perform a shutdown to preserve these electronic components. While this shutdown is intentional from the device perspective, it may be unexpected by the user." [Source: Apple]

…So, if the battery of your iPhone is the original one, it quite likely needs replacement:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Jan 28, 2021 5:58 PM in response to Alancito

It is an iPhone 11. It has no problem with the battery, no water damage or cracks or drop damage. I updated my phone Monday (1/25) and started having issues Tuesday night (1/26). I googled what could be the issue and saw that if I click the up volume and then the down volume and then hold the lock button until the Apple logo came up it would reset that. Tried that, it worked well until today (1/28) when it shut off 3 consecutive times. I tried the volume up and down and restart. I have not had a problem since. I’m glad I found something that sort of works, I just don’t want to have to go through that hassle again. I have not even had this phone a year. I do have Apple care so if it happens again I might call Apple to see what can be done.

iPhone randomly shuts off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.