Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac mid-2011, EMC 2428 - Does not power on after power outage

Very reliable system. No problems since its original purchase about 10 years ago. It was on standby last week during a thunderstorm (lots of electrical activity) that led to 3 or 4 brief power outages in a row. After the storm, I noticed that the system wasn't up anymore and that it would not power on. I've tried all the obvious troubleshooting steps, such as holding the power button for 10 seconds (with or without the AC power cord attached), resetting the PRAM using Option Command P R, and resetting SMC. I even swapped out its PSU and used a known-good AC power cord. Nothing has worked. The one relevant observation that I can share is that with the LCD not attached, the system powered on. It played an audible alarm for memory not being present every five seconds, and the fan started quiet, but then ran at full speed. Also, the LEDs on logic board came on all green. Once I plugged the LCD (and other cables) back in, the system would not power on again. No chime; no fan; just a black screen. One other relevant piece of info is that I took advantage of having opened the chassis and replaced the mechanical drive with SSD, and upgraded its RAM to 16 GB. To me, it appears that the LCD has to be replaced, but before I invest more money into an old (but much loved) system, I'd like to hear from some of the resident experts on whether they think the LCD is the culprit. Thanks for your ideas.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 8:28 PM

Sounds like it’s new iMac time. Those type of outages are brutal to electronics especially computers. Considering it’s advanced age and lack of parts availability and real world value I’d seriously consider retiring the old girl.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 29, 2021 7:12 PM in response to GrannySmith2021

I wouldn't risk a repair. You have no idea if the Logic Board is bad or if it is just the LCD Panel (it could be both). The fact that you had the system beeping showing a memory error indicates it fried at least one of the memory modules (assuming the new memory is working). Plus without an LCD Panel connected you should not have all the LEDs lit. One of the LEDs is an indicator for communication with the LCD Panel. This tells me that the Logic Board is damaged since it thinks an LCD Panel is connected.

Installing another LCD Panel could destroy the replacement LCD Panel, but you would never know it. So if you sold that replacement LCD Panel you could be destroying someone else's Mac in the process since that damaged Panel may cause damage to the next Mac (I've seen this happen enough times that I am paranoid about these situations as it is a nightmare to sort out).

Jan 29, 2021 11:28 PM in response to GrannySmith2021

Trust me I hate it when a computer isn't repaired and must be recycled. I like to help people keep their older computers operational whenever possible. However, I also don't want to see anyone risk their money on expensive parts without a reasonable chance of success. I've been in your situation myself and got into trouble as I described in the previous post. When you recycle this computer I would put a note on it saying damaged in power surge to at least warn the recycler to be careful if they try to refurbish it or sell parts from it.

iMac mid-2011, EMC 2428 - Does not power on after power outage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.