Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI display not working with M1 MacBook Air + OWC USB-C Dock

I have switched to an M1 MBA from the 2015 12" Retina Macbook.

For several years I have been using the OWC USB-C Dock with HDMI and a 32" LG monitor that has HDMI and DP outputs. I do not have the OWC dock that is currently being sold that has MiniDP, I have the previous version that has HDMI only. There are no other video ports on this dock.

The MBA recognizes but does not output to the external display when connected to this dock. The screen is blue. I can open the preferences pane and see the other monitor is recognized by name and change settings, etc. No change with the laptop screen open or closed.

I'd read elsewhere that the presence of a 2nd display bus on a dock or dongle would likely prevent the M1 from wanting to work even if only one was actually being used, but this dock has only one bus.

To troubleshoot, I connected the generic 7-in-1 USB-C dongle from Amazon that I travel with directly to the monitor using HDMI (it's the only video port on the dongle as well) - monitor works.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 10:11 AM

Give OWC a call they are really could at helping resolve issues

with there products and/or verify that perhaps the dock is

not compatible or perhaps there is/was a firmware update

to the dock to resolve the issue.

Similar questions

1 reply

HDMI display not working with M1 MacBook Air + OWC USB-C Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.