Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro unable to connect to external HDMI display

Hi, I have an M1 MacBook Pro (13", 2020) which is having a weird connectivity problem with my external monitor. I have a number of different Thunderbolt docks, some which have both HDMI and DisplayPort, and some which have only HDMI. For some reason the MacBook Pro is able to connect to my external 4K display (by Z-Edge) display via DisplayPort, but if I connect via HDMI it gets into a loop where it sees the monitor, adds it to the system, then disconnects from the monitor ad infinitum.

Unfortunately the specific Thunderbolt dock I want to use with this MacBook only has HDMI output.

Any idea what's going on and how I can fix this? It'd be pretty frustrating if I have to stick with the DisplayPort dock on this machine, as the HDMI-only one is far more portable.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 11:29 PM

Update: I tried the same dock and MacBook with a different monitor and it worked fine, so the problem is with the monitor. Mystery solved.

Similar questions

1 reply

M1 MacBook Pro unable to connect to external HDMI display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.