Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Unable to Join Wifi

I have a HomePod (Version 14.4) that has been working well for almost a year. Yesterday it was suddenly unable to connect to my home wi-fi. Wi-fi router is a relatively new Archer AX50.

I tried removing and re-adding from the Home app, and I tried the hard factory reset (unplug, re-plug, hold down until light is red and hear 3 beeps). I also tried re-setting the wi-fi router. Now when it tries to start up I just get the message "Unable to Join Wi-Fi" and I can't go any further.

I was able to create a guest wi-fi network through my router (with no password), and the HomePod *did* connect to that, but that is obviously sub-optimal because it limits most of the HomePod capabilities.

Any ideas on how to get it to connect to the main wi-fi network, which had been working just fine up until yesterday?

HomePod

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 12:31 PM

Thanks for the ideas - responding to my original post because something else seems to have done it. I checked that on my wi-fi WPA2 was enabled and access settings disabled, still wasn't working.

I noticed that the wi-fi had a firmware update pending, so did that - and still initially no luck.

Then, from reading another post, I went into the wi-fi settings of my mobile device, told it to forget my wi-fi network plus disabled auto-join and ask-to-join (perhaps irrelevant). This time when I went back to the HomePod it was able to get through the setup and join my normal wi-fi network.

Not sure what did it in the end, but sharing in case helpful...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2021 12:31 PM in response to wstork11

Thanks for the ideas - responding to my original post because something else seems to have done it. I checked that on my wi-fi WPA2 was enabled and access settings disabled, still wasn't working.

I noticed that the wi-fi had a firmware update pending, so did that - and still initially no luck.

Then, from reading another post, I went into the wi-fi settings of my mobile device, told it to forget my wi-fi network plus disabled auto-join and ask-to-join (perhaps irrelevant). This time when I went back to the HomePod it was able to get through the setup and join my normal wi-fi network.

Not sure what did it in the end, but sharing in case helpful...

Jan 29, 2021 11:09 AM in response to wstork11

Purchased two HomePod Mini’s to add to my 3 original HomePods to stream music upstairs. Both Mini’s connected without any issues. The HomePod Mini’s are very good, however in my opinion they do not beat the original HomePod. So I purchased a original HomePod for a bedroom. After 5 hours trying to connect I gave up and phoned Apple support. We then spent another 45 mins trying to connect. The message was always the same - Not able to connect to WiFI.

Apple advise I send it back. The replacement arrived. Yes - same issue.

I then went into my router App and changed the setting from WPA2 / WPA3 to WPA / WPA2.

The HomePod connected. I then changed the settings back. All is fine.

I have to say, Apple support is very good in replacing the first item.

I hope this may be of help to others.

Shaun

HomePod Unable to Join Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.