Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My password isn’t working and I cannot reset it in recovery mode. What can I do?

My password isnt working and I cannot reset it in recovery mode. What can I do?

I have a MacBook Air 2018. I attempted to reset my login password, and now it is no longer working to login (old password or new).

I attempted to reset it through recovery mode, but couldn’t because it was not connected to iCloud. I also could not access utilities to try to do this through terminal.

How can I get into this laptop??

MacBook

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 2:16 PM

Hi Eetasam,

Thanks for clarifying that.

On the Recovery Assistant screen, there should be an option underneath your user account: "Forgot All Passwords?". If that option appears, click on it.

• If your Mac doesn't have the T2 or M1 chip, or if Activation Lock is disabled, you'll be prompted to reset your user account password. This will only succeed if you have your FileVault recovery key available, or if your recovery key is linked to your Apple ID.
  • If Activation Lock is enabled, you'll be prompted to authenticate with your Apple ID to continue. You should then be able to access the utilities, including Terminal.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2021 2:16 PM in response to Eetasam

Hi Eetasam,

Thanks for clarifying that.

On the Recovery Assistant screen, there should be an option underneath your user account: "Forgot All Passwords?". If that option appears, click on it.

• If your Mac doesn't have the T2 or M1 chip, or if Activation Lock is disabled, you'll be prompted to reset your user account password. This will only succeed if you have your FileVault recovery key available, or if your recovery key is linked to your Apple ID.
  • If Activation Lock is enabled, you'll be prompted to authenticate with your Apple ID to continue. You should then be able to access the utilities, including Terminal.

Feb 2, 2021 2:42 PM in response to Eetasam

Thanks for posting the screenshot.

A few additional questions that can help:

EDIT: Do you have your FileVault recovery key available? Or did you associate it with your Apple ID?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

• Your Mac has the T2 Security Chip, which denies booting from external media by default. Did you previously change this setting to allow booting from external media?
  • Do you have a second Mac available? What year and model is it?
  • Are you able to boot into macOS Internet Recovery using Shift-Option-Command-R? If yes, what version of macOS does it offer to install?
  • Do you have a Time Machine backup available?

Jan 29, 2021 10:04 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I’m stuck on the recovery assistant app. I do have FileVault enabled, so like you mention, that’s why I can’t get to Utilities.

The screen I get to in this assistant asks me to select a user that I know the password for, and then enter the password to move forward. There’s only one user listed, and that’s the account that the password doesn’t work for, ha.

A bit illogical that in order to recover my password, I need my password.

thoughts?

My password isn’t working and I cannot reset it in recovery mode. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.