Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade to Big Sur cant search files documents from my external hard drive

I type my file name through search Its always show The alias “xxx” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found. and keep asking me to fix alias.

Can please advise?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 3:26 PM

Not sure if you figured out a solution! but I found this video and I fixed my problem!! It was so frustrating, So I can sympathize when where you are coming from. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzXCzCBv218

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 1, 2021 2:27 PM in response to chimmiecrabcrab

Hi chimmiecrabcrab,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with opening your documents through Finder. We'd like to help.

From what you've described, it seems like Finder is finding an alias of your documents instead of the original file. Are you able to search for the files for the original? If not, do you have a backup of your data from before the update? You may need to restore from your backup to access these original files.

This resource can help you with removing aliases after you locate the originals: Create and remove aliases on Mac

Take care!

After upgrade to Big Sur cant search files documents from my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.