Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur mixing up file names on external hard drive

I saw a previous thread on this issue but no solution. Help! Search won't find files even though they are there, or finds them and it's a different file from the one that should be coming up. A compete mess!

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 8:46 AM

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 8, 2023 6:08 AM in response to almut113

So last evening I dragged the external onto "Privacy" under Spotlight in order to rebuild spotlight. The external has never shown up on either of the spotlight options: "search results" or "privacy", and does no longer show up in my finder either. It does though show up under Disk Utility.

I have restarted the computer and left it like this all night. There is a lot of data on the external but, no change this morning. How do I get Spotlight to re-recognize my external so that I can ask it to rebuild? Many thanks!

Jan 8, 2023 6:38 AM in response to almut113

Ok, so I went under Finder Preferences and found that the external drive was now unchecked. I re-checked it but spotlight was still giving mixed up results. So I did the procedure once more, this time not dragging the external onto the "Privacy" list of Spotlight, but rather selecting it via the plus sign. It seems to be working. Thanks very much for your help!

Jan 8, 2023 6:54 AM in response to Matti Haveri

The external was actually mounted in Disk Utility. (Sorry, my picture did not show that fact.)

But rechecking the external in Finder Preferences did the trick.

I think my initial error was to drag the external onto Spotlight's "Privacy". Something went wrong in that move.

Selecting it via the plus sign made it show up on the Privacy list, and allowed me to subsequently remove it from that list.

Thanks for your help!

Big Sur mixing up file names on external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.