Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) Support

How much longer will the MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) be supported?

I would like to replace the battery in my mac, but since it is now around 900 cycles I would wait to get to the recommended 1000 since it still works fine now. The problem is that I understood that if my mac were to become vintage model this would no longer be possible. MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) is already vintage, so I expect mine to be next. I was wondering when my model will become vintage, and then until when it will be possible for me to change the battery. It would seem that it becomes vintage model after 5 years since apple stopped selling it, but I couldn't find any information regarding until apple sold it.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 7:05 AM

5 replies

Jan 30, 2021 9:06 AM in response to MiloDoe

MiloDoe wrote:

How much longer will the MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) be supported?
I would like to replace the battery in my mac, but since it is now around 900 cycles I would wait to get to the recommended 1000 since it still works fine now. The problem is that I understood that if my mac were to become vintage model this would no longer be possible. MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) is already vintage, so I expect mine to be next. I was wondering when my model will become vintage, and then until when it will be possible for me to change the battery. It would seem that it becomes vintage model after 5 years since apple stopped selling it, but I couldn't find any information regarding until apple sold it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it—

Look at your "Battery condition", anything but Condition : Normal needs to be replaced.

>(Option key) System Information>Hardware>Power

You can read more:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired ...

Jan 30, 2021 12:21 PM in response to MiloDoe

MiloDoe wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps I have not been clear. I would like to continue to use my mac for several more years, at least 3-4 years, so sooner or later I will probably have to replace the battery. Or at least I think so as I'm already at 900 cycles. I prefer to do it while the mac is still supported by apple. On the page you linked it says that for obsolete models no replacements are made and for those in the vintage category it depends. I would like to avoid being in the situation where it is no longer possible to have the battery replaced by an official retailer. However, I wouldn't want to do it unnecessarily too soon. So I was wondering how much longer I can wait, in other words, how much longer Apple will offer hardware support for this model.

I can say the quality of batteries, especially the after market replacements has drastically declined

you may get 6 mo, 1 year+ ....

I see many many issues here with after market batteries. YMMV.

Also I will add the OEM batteries I have seen can go for 1000+ say 1200-1500 cycles ! I do not remember the highest I have seen...maybe 1800 ! Keep it plugged into the mains as much as possible, will extend the life.

Follow Grant Bennet-Alder lead above for the details concerning your machine...

Learn how to get your Mac desktop or Mac notebook fixed and how much it will cost.

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support   https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

Jan 30, 2021 11:50 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your reply. Perhaps I have not been clear. I would like to continue to use my mac for several more years, at least 3-4 years, so sooner or later I will probably have to replace the battery. Or at least I think so as I'm already at 900 cycles. I prefer to do it while the mac is still supported by apple. On the page you linked it says that for obsolete models no replacements are made and for those in the vintage category it depends. I would like to avoid being in the situation where it is no longer possible to have the battery replaced by an official retailer. However, I wouldn't want to do it unnecessarily too soon. So I was wondering how much longer I can wait, in other words, how much longer Apple will offer hardware support for this model.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.