Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID issue

I have recently purchased an iPhone 12. I am using face Id to unlock my phone. and only 1 face id had been set up that is of me but sometime my phone will unlock with my brother's face is it a bug in ios 14.4 or it is some other issue.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 7:12 PM

Hello jatin196,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with your brother being able to unlock your iPhone with his face. We are happy to share information that may help.

"The probability that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone or iPad Pro and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 with a single enrolled appearance. As an additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required. The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate."

Check out the "Security safeguards" section of this article for more information: About Face ID advanced technology.

A step to take toward resolving this is to reset Face ID and set it up again: Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and tap Reset Face ID. Then tap Set up Face ID to set it up again.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 7:12 PM in response to jatin196

Hello jatin196,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with your brother being able to unlock your iPhone with his face. We are happy to share information that may help.

"The probability that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone or iPad Pro and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 with a single enrolled appearance. As an additional protection, Face ID allows only five unsuccessful match attempts before a passcode is required. The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate."

Check out the "Security safeguards" section of this article for more information: About Face ID advanced technology.

A step to take toward resolving this is to reset Face ID and set it up again: Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and tap Reset Face ID. Then tap Set up Face ID to set it up again.

Take care.

Feb 2, 2021 2:43 AM in response to melissa_m77

Hi melissa_m77

Thanks for your response. but I had reset my Face ID 3 times already it works for a day or so in that period of time it didn't recognize my brother's face but after that, it unlocks the phone sometimes.

For your information that my brother knows the passcode of my iPhone.

Is it like that face Id authenticate that user who knows the passcode and start recognizing that face?

Face ID issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.