Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

duplicate contacts on iPhone and iPad after update

I recently updated my iPad and iPhone to iOS 14.4.

Now I have duplicates of ALL my contacts on those devices but not on my desktop iMac running latest Big Sur, and not in iCloud.

How can I eliminate this large number of duplicates?

thanks

Caroline

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 7:14 AM

You may try this, if you have iCloud Account --> If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts ...

7 replies

Jan 31, 2021 7:06 AM in response to cdeegan

In Settings, Contacts, Accounts

if

(A) you only see your icloud account then you do not have any other accounts on the phone.

If

(B) you also see your google account or your hotmail account or. your AOL account or..... then you could have any one of those accounts with Contacts turned on

If you are (A) then I have no idea why they duplicated and you will need to check by signing into your iCloud.com account on the iMac and check for duplicates there.

If you are (B) then tap on each account and toggle off contacts.

Jan 31, 2021 7:57 AM in response to cdeegan

Can I just add once you have done the checks in my reply snd in SravanKra’s reply ...

In the iPad or the phone..

Settings, Contacts, Accounts

Tap on your icloud account.

Tap on iCloud

Toggle off Contacts

Open your contacts app and it should be empty! (If not then the contacts are intruders!)

Close contacts app.

Back in icloud settings Turn Contacts back on again.

Open Contacts app again.

It should just have a copy of your icloud contacts same as the iMac.

Feb 2, 2021 6:53 AM in response to SravanKrA

I never found the source for the duplicated contacts, but I did fix the problem.

I signed into iCloud.com, went to settings>advanced>restore contacts, and chose those with a date two weeks before the duplication happened. The duplicate contacts disappeared.

It's frustrating not to know why this happened, but at least I know how to fix it in the future.

Thanks to LD150 and SravanKra for their help!

Caroline

duplicate contacts on iPhone and iPad after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.