Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seeking advice on how to set up my file system in HD>Users in Big Sur 11.1

I realize this question might seem foolish and trivial, but I ask it in all sincerity:

Is there anything wrong/ill-advised/strange/stupid about setting up my hard drive in Big Sur 11.1 in the following way? :

In the Finder in HD>Users>Username>Desktop, I create a folder called (for example) “all my stuff.”

This folder will now be visible on the Desktop. Then I close all Finder windows, leaving only the Desktop visible, with just this folder on it, and nothing else.

Then I click and open this “all my stuff” folder, and it then is the only Finder window visible. At the beginning, it has nothing in it.

I then go and make an alias of the “Applications” folder (in HD>Applications), and move that alias to the “all my stuff” folder.

And finally, I then transfer/migrate the (here’s the unexpected part) 227GB of personal user-created files from my old computer to this “all my stuff” folder.

Done.

I do all this because I don’t want to see the “Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures and Public” folders in my Users folder, and I was informed (on another Discussions thread) that it was not allowed to delete, move or rename them. I do not plan to use those folders (which I was also informed was possible and allowable if I so chose).

I also don’t like using the Sidebar or the Dock for my user-created files, and I have very specific and very eccentric notions of how I want my personal user-created files to be arranged and displayed to me. I’m trying to create an optical illusion that this “all my stuff” folder is my “home.” I realize that I’d be actually still inside HD>Users>Username>Desktop, but if I don’t have to see all the intermediary folder hierarchy, then I can hopefully forget about it. I’ll just leave my “all my stuff” folder open, and never view the “Users” Finder window.

I’m not seeking psychoanalysis of why I want to arrange my files in this way — I simply would like to know if it was a fine and allowable thing to do, which wouldn’t mess up Big Sur in any way or cause some other kind of problem for me later on.

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 3:10 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 30, 2021 4:52 PM in response to Barney-15E

Oh, I'll be subdividing the "all my stuff" folder many many ways and with many layers of folder hierarchy within it. At the top level, for example, I'll have only about 10 or 12 folders (.e.g. Project #1," "Project #2," "pre-2021 projects," "all other writing," "business and finance stuff," "video editing," etc. etc.), and then within each of those folders many sub-folders, and so on. Plus, on average, maybe 10 or 20 current files and documents I'm working on. It not like I'll have 227GB of files all dumped directly into the top level of this one "all my stuff" folder.

But if you say "You can do that," then I'm happy!

Seeking advice on how to set up my file system in HD>Users in Big Sur 11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.