Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting files from my NTFS drives

Hello,

I've just purchased my first macOS device (MacBook Pro M1) and ran into a problem. I have been using windows all my life and i have a few HDD drives that are formatted in NTFS and my MacBook can't even see some of the files. Since i have all my pictures, videos and other important data I can't just format it to Apple format.

1. Can I somehow manage all my NTFS drives (I've tried paragon NTFS software and it still didn't show all files)?
  2. What are the ways to move all my files from NTFS to Apple format? I have a 4TB drive that has ±1TB full and 1TB drive that is full to the brim.

Sorry if this is an age old question, but i can't seen to find a solution.

Thank You in advance, Julius

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 8:42 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 31, 2021 8:50 AM in response to Julius_G

Julius_G wrote:

1. Hello,

I've just purchased my first macOS device (MacBook Pro M1) and ran into a problem. I have been using windows all my life and i have a few HDD drives that are formatted in NTFS and my MacBook can't even see some of the files. Since i have all my pictures, videos and other important data I can't just format it to Apple format.

Can I somehow manage all my NTFS drives (I've tried paragon NTFS software and it still didn't show all files)?
2. What are the ways to move all my files from NTFS to Apple format? I have a 4TB drive that has ±1TB full and 1TB drive that is full to the brim.

Sorry if this is an age old question, but i can't seen to find a solution.

Thank You in advance, Julius

Verify you are using the latest version of your NTFS software/drivers to be compatibly with Big Sur macOS 11.1 and your M1.

Microsoft NTFS for Mac by paragon software

Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Tuxera–Read & write Windows ...

Feb 1, 2021 10:13 PM in response to Julius_G

Some of the USB chipsets used in USB peripherals are not compatible with an M1 Mac. I have seen reports that the JMicron USB chipset is not compatible with M1 Macs. I don't know any more details or whether any other brand of USB chipsets have issues. There is a thread on these Apple forums where a user tested a couple different products which is where I first heard of the JMicron chipset issue, but I cannot locate the relevant post showing tests he performed. I then saw a note on a hardware manufacturer's website specifically mentioning that their product with the JMicron chipset was not comatible with an M1 Mac, however, the vendor has since updated their product line with a compatible device so the incompatibility notice is no longer listed.

Getting files from my NTFS drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.