Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme 5th gen losing network connection

My home network consists of an AirPort Extreme 802.11ac (6th gen) connected via about 30 feet of Cat 6 cable to an AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen). The n is set to bridge mode.

All seems to be fine other than one oddity. When using Airport Utility to view my network the AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen) intermittently loses network connection for a second or so. Flash off and back on every few minutes or so. I don’t see any other apparent network access issues. Internet connection seems fine. The n is connected by a maybe 3 yearold cat 6 cable that was working fine. I tried switching Ethernet ports on both the n and ac. The only hassle is trying to edit the n settings in Airport Utility as it will bump me out of edit mode. I did try restarting both routers. The status light on the n never changes from solid green.

Is this a hardware or settings issue?

AirPort

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 3:27 PM

To restart the entire network, power off all devices......in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Start up the modem and let it run for 2-3 minutes

Srart up the next device connected to the modem and let it run a full minute

Start up the next router......if it exists.....on the network and let it run a full minute

Keep starting up devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is back up

Your "main" AirPort is already set up to handle IPv6, so you don't need the other AirPort trying to do the same thing. Setting the second AirPort to Link Local Only allows it to use the IPv6 settings provided by your "main" router.

Apple should have tied in the settings for Bridge Mode....(.they call it "Off (Bridge Mode)" just to confuse folks)......to Link Local Only, so if a user set up a second AirPort in Bridge Mode, the IPv6 settings would also switch on that AirPort to Link Local Only at the same time.

Link Local Only is not perfect. Every once in a while when you open AirPort Utility, the green light will not appear on the display in the application.....and you won't be able to access the settings on the AirPort.....even though the green light is present on the actual AirPort.

Powering off the Link Local Only router and then powering it back up will usually straighten things out. If not, you'll have to go with the full network restart again.

Last time I had to restart the second AirPort in Bridge Mode on the network here was about 3-4 months ago.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2021 3:27 PM in response to bitman

To restart the entire network, power off all devices......in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Start up the modem and let it run for 2-3 minutes

Srart up the next device connected to the modem and let it run a full minute

Start up the next router......if it exists.....on the network and let it run a full minute

Keep starting up devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is back up

Your "main" AirPort is already set up to handle IPv6, so you don't need the other AirPort trying to do the same thing. Setting the second AirPort to Link Local Only allows it to use the IPv6 settings provided by your "main" router.

Apple should have tied in the settings for Bridge Mode....(.they call it "Off (Bridge Mode)" just to confuse folks)......to Link Local Only, so if a user set up a second AirPort in Bridge Mode, the IPv6 settings would also switch on that AirPort to Link Local Only at the same time.

Link Local Only is not perfect. Every once in a while when you open AirPort Utility, the green light will not appear on the display in the application.....and you won't be able to access the settings on the AirPort.....even though the green light is present on the actual AirPort.

Powering off the Link Local Only router and then powering it back up will usually straighten things out. If not, you'll have to go with the full network restart again.

Last time I had to restart the second AirPort in Bridge Mode on the network here was about 3-4 months ago.

Jan 31, 2021 12:20 PM in response to bitman

If you can get into the settings in AirPort Utility for the 5th Gen........set it up with Link Local Only for IPv6 under Internet Tab > Internet Options.

You may need to power off the 6th Gen AirPort to use AirPort Utility. The 5th Gen can still connect via WiFi that way. Ideally, you would connect your Mac directly to a LAN <--> port on the 5th Gen.....but.....your Mac may not have an Ethernet port.

Be sure to restart the entire network after you have made the changes.

Airport Extreme 5th gen losing network connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.