Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting compatibility issues: Files not importing: "missing proxy"

I'm using a tutorial from Lyndia.com to learn FCP, so I'm the newest of the newb, coming over from Premier Pro. The version of FCP he's teaching from is 10.4.9 while the (trial) version I'm using is 10.5.1. Since this is a tutorial, I can't imagine that Lynda.com has uploaded files that aren't compatible with the tutorial, so I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but I'm following the tutorials to the letter and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Following the tutorial, after adding files to the Library the presenter Relinks by pulling down the file menu and selecting Relink Files. For me, there are two options after pulling down that menu: Original Files and Proxy Files. Neither one will relink the files.

If I choose Original Files, FCP seeeeeems to import/link to them but every video file has the same "missing proxy!" caption over the videos. If I choose Proxy Files I get an additional search option then the warning that the files are not compatible -- but a few files did come into FCP.

Through Finder I opened the files that didn't import -- they play in Quicktime -- and Get Info shows me the codex have Timecode, HEVC, AAC, so I'm not sure how to further trouble shoot this.

Here are links to what I see on my end.

(the right one has imported, but not the left one)

https://imgur.com/a/EYdT9U0

This is the dialog box that comes up after relinking fails through the Proxy relink.

https://imgur.com/a/mfqmG4E

I'm looking for advice on how to trouble shoot this problem. I want to also mention that every time I import media into a project (command + I or Drag and Drop), I have to Relink that media.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 1:58 PM

Click the little View menu at the top right of the viewer and instead of Proxy choose Optimized/Original.

As Tom said there absolutely NO reason to relink right after importing. This is total nonsense.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 31, 2021 1:37 PM in response to stevenfromyokohama

This is very confusing. After adding the files to the library, why are you having to relink? That doesn't make sense in an early instruction model.

In the 10.4.9 version there was no relinking of proxies. You could only relink original media. If you relink the original and see missing proxy, it's because the viewer is set to display proxy media. In the upper right of the Viewer is a View popup. Select Original/Optimized.

"I'm looking for advice on how to trouble shoot this problem. I want to also mention that every time I import media into a project (command + I or Drag and Drop), I have to Relink that media."

This doesn't make any sense. When you import media you do not have to relink afterwards. Relink is used if files are moved our altered after importing. Something is not working correctly, but it's hard to tell from the description.

Troubleshooting compatibility issues: Files not importing: "missing proxy"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.