Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Song ____Cannot Be Played Because You Are Not Signed Into Apple Music: Macbook Pro

Hello,

I have an Apple Music subscription. I cannot play half of the music I have I organized into playlists, which is a lot after years of collecting music.

I get the following message "The Song ____Cannot Be Played Because You Are Not Signed Into Apple Music."

p.s. Yes, I am signed into Apple Music.

YES, I have completed the following but nothing worked:

• I am signed in to Apple Music
  • I can listen to all the songs that don't work on my Mac on my iPhone and iPad
  • I have signed out and signed back in
  • I have restarted my Macbook Pro
  • I have run the Disk Utility tool
  • I have signed out of and signed back into iCloud

Any thoughts as to why half of Apple Music randomly stopped playing on my Macbook Pro, yet works fine on my iPhone and iPad?

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Shane

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 10:57 AM

SOLVED AND RESOLVED 😀

The issue was ultimately solved by deleting the iTunes Media folder in Safe Mode, via Terminal.

**BACKED UP Apple Music playlists first.

A. Signed out of everything.

B. Restarted in Safe Mode.

C. Used Terminal to Delete the iTunes Media Folder.

sudo rm -r /Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media 

D. Restarted in normal mode.

F. Opened Apple Music and signed in + authorized the computer. The iTunes media folder repopulated after and everything worked.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 10:57 AM in response to alcheme

SOLVED AND RESOLVED 😀

The issue was ultimately solved by deleting the iTunes Media folder in Safe Mode, via Terminal.

**BACKED UP Apple Music playlists first.

A. Signed out of everything.

B. Restarted in Safe Mode.

C. Used Terminal to Delete the iTunes Media Folder.

sudo rm -r /Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media 

D. Restarted in normal mode.

F. Opened Apple Music and signed in + authorized the computer. The iTunes media folder repopulated after and everything worked.

Feb 3, 2021 7:18 AM in response to alcheme

Hey there, alcheme.

We understand that you are unable to play some songs in Apple Music because you see a message that you aren't signed in, even though you are. You've taken some great steps already. You can create a temporarily new administrator user and test to see if the same issue happens there: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac This can show if the issue is only happening in your user account or happening system-wide, and help isolate what might be happening with your MacBook Pro and Apple Music.

Keep us posted. Take care!

Feb 3, 2021 2:37 PM in response to alcheme

alcheme,

Thanks for trying that step for us and letting us know the result. The next step to help isolate this would be to start your MacBook Pro in safe mode. Safe mode stops some certain software of your MacBook Pro from loading, along with doing a basic check of your startup disk. You can see how to here: How to use safe mode on your Mac Please start in safe mode and test to see if the same issue happens there, then restart out of safe mode, and test to see if the issue continues out of safe mode.

Best wishes.

Feb 3, 2021 12:16 PM in response to barberlives123

I have tried signing into Apple Music, etc. under a separate Administrator account. I get the same result. ** My computer will not authorize no matter how many times I try. I have also "deauthorized" all my computers but my Macbook will not reauthorize. All my songs, movies, tv shows, etc. work fine on my iPhone and iPad - using the exact same AppleID. That said, about half of my Apple Music downloads, others won't download but still play, and anything I have purchased or matched previously is not accessible.

A. ERROR message when trying to download the Apple Music tracks that would now download:

B. ERROR Message when trying to play any purchased or matched media.

Feb 3, 2021 3:22 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph_S,

The same result happens in Safe Mode - the computer will not Re-Authenticate but 50% of the Apple Music files download and play and the other 50% only stream. The purchased and matched files do not download or play. p.s. I have 500 GB of space left on the disk so space is not an issue.

Also, when I do try to authenticate, it says the Cloud Music Library is updating on the bottom left. But no new downloads happen.

The Song ____Cannot Be Played Because You Are Not Signed Into Apple Music: Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.