Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving files

How do I move backup files from WD My Passport external drive to my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 3:42 PM

5 replies

Jan 31, 2021 5:18 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

No they are backed up using "WD My Passport" drive. I loaded all the files from my old MAC Book Pro to the WD My Passport drive. Now I nave the WD My Passport drive plugged into a new MAC Book Pro and I can see the WD My Passport drive including all the files from my old Mac on the new Mac computer. I have dragged and tried to drop the files from the WD My Passport drive to a "location" that is on the new MacBooK Pro. I receive a drop down window that stated "you can put items into "MacBook Pro", but you won't be able to see them. Do you want to continue? Other users with sufficient permissions will be able to use the items." Options are "Cancel" or "OK"

What do I do

Jan 31, 2021 6:15 PM in response to jerry4663

jerry4663 wrote:

No they are backed up using "WD My Passport" drive. I loaded all the files from my old MAC Book Pro to the WD My Passport drive. Now I nave the WD My Passport drive plugged into a new MAC Book Pro and I can see the WD My Passport drive including all the files from my old Mac on the new Mac computer. I have dragged and tried to drop the files from the WD My Passport drive to a "location" that is on the new MacBooK Pro. I receive a drop down window that stated "you can put items into "MacBook Pro", but you won't be able to see them. Do you want to continue? Other users with sufficient permissions will be able to use the items." Options are "Cancel" or "OK"
What do I do

If you using 'Proprietary backup software' that came pre-installed like you describe, "WD My Passport" your best bet is refer to the Western Digital developers website for a user manual, instructions or some insight in how it works.

Do a google search if in doubt, maybe it came with instructions or a user manual, or their website has a their FAQ, help menu or Support option for customers—surely there is.

Typically it is always advised to erase/reformat any new drive to remove Proprietary software for the very reason you are encountering now. You have to be leery of any external hard drive that says in the marketing "Mac ready" or some such. Typically they charge more, but a blank drive is a blank drive that needs formatting before using— your Disk Utility.app is in the Utilities folder for this purpose.

I suspect the drive was formatted for WindowsOS and the file types are not readable as is without using there method/software to replace/translate back the files as readable on your GUID/HFS+ / (APFS) formatted drive for the macOS.

good luck !

Moving files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.