Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unicode phonetic symbols

I recently upgraded to Catalina (10.15.7). I had been running Yosemite (10.10.5). In Yosemite, one of the keyboard options was direct access to the section of unicode with phonetic symbols and diacritics. I use phonetics extensively. The limited access available through Show Emojis and Symbols that only includes accented Latin characters lacks the crucial combining characters (and the Greek based phonetic characters as well). This is making my life much harder. (I can get the Greek through Greek, mostly, but with a lot more keystrokes.)

Is there anyway to get the old æ Phonetic Alphabet added to my options under Show Emojis and Symbols?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 4:35 AM

When you have the Character Viewer open, click on the Gear Wheel at the top left and then on Customize List. Then check the boxes you want, including Phonetic Alphabet and Unicode.

If you don't see the full viewer with the Gear Wheel, you need to click on the icon in the top right corner.

2 replies

Unicode phonetic symbols

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.