Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain in iOS 14.4

Hi I have an iPhone 11 Pro. The battery started draining very fast after updating the OS to the latest version. It dropped from 90% to 20% in an hour just over an audio call. Is this a known bug? Can I rollback to iOS 14.3? Do you have any tips for fixing it? I already did the usual (restarting the phone), but that didn’t help. I want to emphasize the fact that the battery was fine before the update.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 5:14 AM

Hello,

Yeah, there is a lot of chatter on that. In the meantime, until it gets sorted out, try this:

1) Go to Settings > Battery > BATTERY USAGE BY APP to see the apps that are consuming your battery.

2) Check “Battery Health” in the link: 

iPhone Battery and Performance

Good luck.

75 replies

Feb 1, 2021 5:02 PM in response to MrBill3

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. As you see, I am practically running on 1% battery for straight 10hours now. So there is a bug in the battery monitoring process, as opposed to the actual battery life.

I accidentally marked this as solved. Is it possible to revert it back?

Also can you please point me to the other discussions on the same topic?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2021 5:53 PM in response to siddey

Hi Siddey:

I've had the same issue after upgrading to iOS 14.1 and then iOS 14.4. A painful, but effective fix for me, is to do the following:

1. Backup the iPhone using iTunes
  2. Erase the phone (entirely)
  3. Restore the iPhone from iTunes

Note: Save your photos before doing this.

I guess there's some "gremlin" in the iOS upgrade that causes the drain, even for normal apps like messaging, etc. I have an iPhone 8 and the battery health is decent.

Good luck and I hope this works for you.

Drew

Feb 14, 2021 6:24 PM in response to siddey

I have an SE (yeah, still) and the battery is fine, as it was replace by Apple about a year ago, and everything worked really well UNTIL 14.4 CAME OUT! Normally, my policy is to always keep software up to date, for obvious reasons, but OMG I was literally racing against the clock to find setting to change and stop this death cliff of apple battery drain. THAT WHICH WORKED BEFORE 14.4 NO LONGER WORKS WITH 14.4. Particular apps of course, but THIS IS INSANE you APPLE CHOWDERHEADS!

Feb 14, 2021 6:47 PM in response to siddey

TURN ON LOW POWER MODE, then

UNINSTALL your VPN, you don't need security eh?

UNINSTALL your GMAIL, you have a Mac or PC eh?

TURN OFF SIRI (type to, listen for), it's a top battery waster now, you can't afford it!

Now, your battery should start accumulating a charge.

Of course, all the reasons for having an iphone in the first place just went out the window.

IS THIS A PLOY TO FORCE iPhone UPGRADES?

That ancient flip phone is looking PRETTY DARN GOOD at the moment.

I certainly won't be depending on this apple sh*t to be working when I want to Apple Pay. Back to tapping my plastic!

Feb 18, 2021 4:09 AM in response to siddey

Is the 'exposure notifications' turned on, if so try turning them off and see if this makes any difference. I've suggested this before for users with iPhone SE but never get any feedback.

I did this with my own iPhone SE series 1 because battery drain went haywire after iOS 14.4 - this coincided with Apple's inclusion of covid tracking code (something to do with bluetooth always checking for possible contact proximities) with this update.

Anyway, after turning off the exposure notifications, the battery drain became much more settled and has been consistent with usage for some 3 months now. There's no harm in trying this out on a short-term basis and it just might prove to be the answer.

Feb 18, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Mtiti

I have an SE (yes still I like the size very much) and the battery is old but fine 92% of maximum capacity.  This change happened abruptly after upgrading to ios 14.4 before this it worked very well.  The only thing that I noticed was “exposure notifications”

was installed and turned on automatically. I turned this off but the fast drain continues.

Feb 18, 2021 8:35 AM in response to iopowell

I have an SE (yes still I like the size very much) and the battery is old but fine 92% of maximum capacity.  This change happened abruptly after upgrading to ios 14.4 before this it worked very well.  The only thing that I noticed was “exposure notifications” was installed and turned on automatically.  I turned this off “exposure notifications” but the fast drain continues. Any other ideas

Feb 18, 2021 9:32 AM in response to iopowell

I only have a few apps that use Location services and those are turned off in the app. I keep blue tooth off unless I'm going to use it for something specifically. I use optimized battery charging and have for a long time. 100% charge this morning and 2 hours later I' at 57% and only used text a couple times.

Thx for the thought. Something changed in 14.4

Feb 18, 2021 11:05 AM in response to iopowell

You write “Remember some apps are power hungry and do background refresh, possibly turn off that feature for those apps too!”

Remember nothing changed on my phone prior or after iOS 14.4. .  No settings changed or apps added. Just 14.4 installed and now massive battery loss. 

Of courses I could put my brightness to 1 not use any features to try to help whatever broke in the iOS update but that is a very poor solution to a bad update don’t you think?

FYI if you do any research on the net you will see it’s not just you write "destroyed the battery management system of smaller sized iPhones". I have read the same issues with  SE through iPhone 11 Pro.

Battery drain in iOS 14.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.