Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install OS Big Sur on my Macbook Pro Mid 2014 currently running on OS X 10.9.5.

I'm trying to install OS Big Sur on my Macbook Pro Mid 2014 ( currently running on OS X 10.0.5 :( I know!!). The installer won't let me continue after telling me the hard drive it'll install to. any ideas how I can fix this? Old person using tech here! please be kind ;) ( and also explain in terms that a 4 year old could understand LOL).

MacBook

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 8:06 AM

you can't jump that far in one jump.

Install 10.11 El Capitan as a waypoint. Its improved Mac App store will allow the proper installation of following Mac OS versions.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

EDIT: I was composing while you were responding. Installing High Sierra may work in some cases as well, but installing El Capitan solves a wider variety of issues, so is the best GENERAL advice.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 8:06 AM in response to YogicDee-2021

Install 10.11 El Capitan as a waypoint. Its improved Mac App store will allow the proper installation of following Mac OS versions.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

EDIT: I was composing while you were responding. Installing High Sierra may work in some cases as well, but installing El Capitan solves a wider variety of issues, so is the best GENERAL advice.

Feb 1, 2021 8:34 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

Odd. Apple says, "If your Mac is running OS X Mavericks 10.9 or later, you can upgrade directly to macOS Big Sur."

I was going to say upgrade to El Capitan but then I very carefully read the Big Sur upgrade page and saw it said that and removed my sentence saying try going to El Capitan first.

Feb 1, 2021 8:01 AM in response to Limnos

Hi thanks for your response! Happy to report I’ve fixed it! I wasn’t getting an error message or anything, it just wouldn’t continue at all. After trawling through various forums, I decided to try and install High Sierra. I was confident that I’d managed to back everything up so gave it a go. It worked, I then installed all the outstanding updates then went back to Big Sur. Hey Presto it downloaded with no hitches at all so I’m feeling very proud of myself! Thanks for trying to help though 😊

Trying to install OS Big Sur on my Macbook Pro Mid 2014 currently running on OS X 10.9.5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.