Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Pro 2021 - not able to install OS X Big Sur

Hi there

Just received my new MBP 2021 and tried to install OS X Big Sur on it. My goal is to run both versions of OS X (Sur and Monterey) parallel.

Now i really struggle and can't get it to install big sur. I erased the disk completely and created and external booter with Sur. Now in the install menu of the OS installer i Only get the "update cannot be installed on this computer" error and am unable to proceed.

Any thoughts on this? My thinking was that it should work like a charm to downgrade it to Big Sur. I would have to return the product if there isn't a way to get big Sur up an running...

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 3:42 AM

Sorry but Apple makes the Software that runs on the computer as does it also make the Computers. Therefore, they also make the Rules.

One might be able to run Big Sur in a suitable and compatible VM Software. That will require the user to investigate this option carefully before investing the time and money.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 3:42 AM in response to Fingerli

Sorry but Apple makes the Software that runs on the computer as does it also make the Computers. Therefore, they also make the Rules.

One might be able to run Big Sur in a suitable and compatible VM Software. That will require the user to investigate this option carefully before investing the time and money.

New Macbook Pro 2021 - not able to install OS X Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.