Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download MacOS Big Sur installer

My company owns multiple Macbook Air/Pro Laptops. An employee recently left the company and reset their macbook air. Unfortunately, an error occured and that laptop is now stuck in recovery mode. After trying everything I could to reinstall the OS on this laptop, I've given up; I am now trying to download Big Sur (on a separate MacBook running Big Sur) onto an SSD and reinstall the OS from there.

Unfortunately, my MacBook refuses to download the Big Sur Installer tool. Whenever I try to download the installer tool I get the following message: "Install macOS Big Sur“ cannot be opened from a newer version of macOS."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 1:56 PM

If the computer being used to download Big Sur is running Monterey ( Original Installation as New ) this could be an issue but probably still possible.

Terminal Application and use the below command ( Copy and Paste )

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

Whatever the output is, is what this specific computer Qualifies to download and Run

Should Big Sur 11.6.8 appear in the list - good

Again Terminal and below command

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.6.8

This will download the Full Version of Big Sur and place a New application in Applications folder. it Will Not Auto Launch

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2022 1:56 PM in response to Sage-F98

If the computer being used to download Big Sur is running Monterey ( Original Installation as New ) this could be an issue but probably still possible.

Terminal Application and use the below command ( Copy and Paste )

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

Whatever the output is, is what this specific computer Qualifies to download and Run

Should Big Sur 11.6.8 appear in the list - good

Again Terminal and below command

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.6.8

This will download the Full Version of Big Sur and place a New application in Applications folder. it Will Not Auto Launch

Unable to download MacOS Big Sur installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.