Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Mail Account creation fails: This account already exists

Running a MacBook since years without using a mail application. Instead, use web mail since years, including mail app on the iPhone.

Updated to Big Sur and want to use mail app. Added a Mail account for IMAP mailing, but it didn't work. 'Connection Doctor' was not able to fix it, so I removed this Mail account in 'Internet Accounts'.

While I use the same mail address for Apple ID I signed out, restarted the Mac, and tried several times to 'Add Mail account' via Mail app or directly via System Preferences - Internet Accounts.

Imagine what the error message is: 'This account already exists.'

How can this be fixed if Apple ID/iCloud signing out is not working? Thank you so much.

MacBook, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 2:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 6:15 AM

Solved my problem: Just deleted all other 'Internet Accounts' entries in the list I had and could create my IMAP mail account.

Similar questions

1 reply

Big Sur Mail Account creation fails: This account already exists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.