Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A IMAP account already exists. Only a single IMAP account is allowed to be saved.

I'm trying to update a mail account on my MacBook Pro and all of the Account Information and Server Settings are the exact same as they are on my iMac, but every time I tried to save the changes I received the following message:

A IMAP account already exists. Only a single IMAP account is allowed to be saved.

I have checked in the Communities for solutions and have already edited the User Name in the SMTP Server List that was associated with another account and have also deleted a previous account that was using the same email address under Internet Accounts in System Preferences.

Once I had everything the same as it is on my iMac for this account and tried to save the changes again, I then received the following message:

Unable to verify account name or password.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this issue?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 10:26 AM

Hello seadub64, 

We’d love to assist you with getting your email set up on your MacBook Pro. We understand that the settings are exactly the same on your other Mac. However, let’s verify your email settings here: Mail Settings Lookup

If you continue to experience the same behavior, let's proceed with the following steps:

If a mail server rejects your login information on Mac

• Try setting up this account while in safe mode as shown here: Start up your Mac in safe mode

• Test the issue in a new user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question. We’re here if you need us!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 10:26 AM in response to seadub64

Hello seadub64, 

We’d love to assist you with getting your email set up on your MacBook Pro. We understand that the settings are exactly the same on your other Mac. However, let’s verify your email settings here: Mail Settings Lookup

If you continue to experience the same behavior, let's proceed with the following steps:

If a mail server rejects your login information on Mac

• Try setting up this account while in safe mode as shown here: Start up your Mac in safe mode

• Test the issue in a new user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities to post your question. We’re here if you need us!

Apr 6, 2021 10:37 AM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina,

Thanks for your response.

After I verifying that the settings were the same on both computers, I tried your other suggestions of checking why the mail server was rejecting my information and set up the account in safe mode, but neither of these worked.

I then went in and set up a new Admin. account and set up the mail account with the same information. This time I was able to create the account, so I went back and deleted the email account under my user account and recreated it with the same info. again and this time it worked! It never occurred to me to delete the account and try again because everything was the same on multiple devices and it was only the MacBook Pro that wasn't working.

Oh well, it seems to be okay now so who am I to question having to go back and do something over again if it doesn't work the first time around. Hopefully that doesn't apply to everything.

I appreciate your assistance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.