Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 13 inch Macbook's (2015) screen is half black

I take really good care of my macbook which is why Ive had my macbook since early 2016; there is no sign of physical damage and it has been working normally up until now. When it is turned off you would not be able to tell that its faulty. But when turned on, the left side of the screen is black and when you look at it (while it's on) it looks like the screen has a crack, but when it's turned off it looks perfectly fine and you can't see any physical damage to the screen. Does anyone know what i can do to fix this? I would really like to avoid having to pay to get it repaired if possible, as I am currently out of a job and have no stream of income at the moment. Below are two images; one when the macbook is turned off and one where it's turned on. The image where its turned off you can't see any crack, but the image where it's turned on you might have to zoom into the image a bit to see the crack that appears when the macbook is turned on.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 6:21 AM

c8linann wrote:

I take really good care of my macbook which is why Ive had my macbook since early 2016; there is no sign of physical damage and it has been working normally up until now. When it is turned off you would not be able to tell that its faulty. But when turned on, the left side of the screen is black and when you look at it (while it's on) it looks like the screen has a crack,

A cracked screen can cause this issue...that is a hardware issue.

Verify or make some change in >System Preferences>Display changing the Resolution around and see if you can talk some sense into it.

Other wise you have half a hardware problem.

If this Mac has two GPU try forcing over to the other as a test. I know for example launching the photo app demands the Discreet GPU, other wise the mac by default is running the Integrated GPU only.

—Connecting an external screen / monitor if this is isolated to GPU or Display—this would be telling

—A full screen shot takes the image from the GPU and not the Display— this would be telling

Learn how to get your Mac desktop or Mac notebook fixed and how much it will cost.

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 6:21 AM in response to c8linann

c8linann wrote:

I take really good care of my macbook which is why Ive had my macbook since early 2016; there is no sign of physical damage and it has been working normally up until now. When it is turned off you would not be able to tell that its faulty. But when turned on, the left side of the screen is black and when you look at it (while it's on) it looks like the screen has a crack,

A cracked screen can cause this issue...that is a hardware issue.

Verify or make some change in >System Preferences>Display changing the Resolution around and see if you can talk some sense into it.

Other wise you have half a hardware problem.

If this Mac has two GPU try forcing over to the other as a test. I know for example launching the photo app demands the Discreet GPU, other wise the mac by default is running the Integrated GPU only.

—Connecting an external screen / monitor if this is isolated to GPU or Display—this would be telling

—A full screen shot takes the image from the GPU and not the Display— this would be telling

Learn how to get your Mac desktop or Mac notebook fixed and how much it will cost.

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

My 13 inch Macbook's (2015) screen is half black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.