Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2015 MacBook Pro driving an external display 4k@60Hz

Hello!

Recently I have bought a 4k screen, I know that the screen is capable of showing 4k resolution at 60Hz refresh rate. I have an early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 and I want to drive this screen 4k@60Hz.

Since I know that the HDMI port is not capable of driving 4k@60Hz, I have bought a cable: mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0, since the screen has 3 HDMI ports, (one of them supports HDMI 2.0, and I use that port) and no DisplayPort.

As far as the resolution and refresh rate capacity goes, both HDMI 2.0 and Mini DisplayPort is capable of delivering what I am looking for, but when I connect the cable to the correct port, it does not go over 30Hz in 4k resolution.

I know 4k@60Hz from a MacBook Pro must be possible, I just don't know how exactly, if I am doing something wrong, I am open to suggestions. Can anyone please help me to solve this issue?

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 1:10 PM

Ok, after some more research on the internet, I think I have found a solution and I would like to share it, if this will be helpful for someone else in the future.

I have opened displays, and then there is two pages (since I have two screen in total)

And on the externes display, I have clicked 'scaled' while holding down the 'option' key on the keyboard, then click on 'show low resolution modes' to see the refresh rate options:

Here you can choose 4k and also 60Hz! Cool. 👍

While searching I have also downloaded SwitchResX trial, but everything is still working even after I have uninstall that software. So I believe even without the additional software, it will continue to work.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 1:10 PM in response to ozlem116

Ok, after some more research on the internet, I think I have found a solution and I would like to share it, if this will be helpful for someone else in the future.

I have opened displays, and then there is two pages (since I have two screen in total)

And on the externes display, I have clicked 'scaled' while holding down the 'option' key on the keyboard, then click on 'show low resolution modes' to see the refresh rate options:

Here you can choose 4k and also 60Hz! Cool. 👍

While searching I have also downloaded SwitchResX trial, but everything is still working even after I have uninstall that software. So I believe even without the additional software, it will continue to work.

Feb 1, 2021 10:23 AM in response to ozlem116

two thought come to mind:

Some very high resolution displays require two interfaces on the Mac, in conjunction with Picture-By-Picture feature in the display, to get all the pixels onto the screen.

The cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet"  --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard TV set, and not much more.

Feb 1, 2021 10:43 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The cable I have bought was specifically a "Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz Nylon Thunderbolt to HDMI Cable Compatible with MacBook Pro". Since I know some HDMI cable does not support HDMI 2.0, I have explicitly chosen a faster cable. But if the manufacturer are lying, that part I don't know.

This is the product in question;

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B08B5YZLD4?pf_rd_r=QTNKYA1H8P7XZZE5VREA&pf_rd_p=f6634045-2cd8-4654-8338-b9246a89c6f1&pd_rd_r=cb5cc8f1-cab5-4ea6-b4c8-30c644f5f989&pd_rd_w=Fa7aT&pd_rd_wg=ZMSzT&ref_=pd_gw_unk&th=1

Do you think it is a sub-standard cable problem and with a better cable, can I get 4k@60Hz?

Because if I can not get 60Hz, I am thinking about returning both the cable and the display. I would like to avoid the hassle, if it is possible and find a solution.

Thank you Grant.

Early 2015 MacBook Pro driving an external display 4k@60Hz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.