Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wireless vs cellular data on ipad

If I purchase the Ipad with Wifi only, and decide later that I want to add cellular data to it, can I hook it up to my verizon acount and begin paying for cellular data? Or do I have to get the Wifi + cellular Ipad even if I plan to just use Wifi from the start?

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 10:25 AM

Be aware that you cannot add or change iPad hardware. Hardware capabilities are fixed during manufacture; Cellular capabilities cannot be retrofitted as no cellular components or antennas are fitted.

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular features - nor are you committed to arranging a cellular airtime contract until (or if) you later choose to do so. However, purchasing a WiFi+Cellular model in preference to a WiFi Only model does preserve the flexibility to do so at a later time.

WiFi+Cellular models of iPad also include GPS capabilities. WiFi Only models have no GPS capabilities at all.

If you do choose a WiFi Only model, when paired with an iPhone, you can use the iPhone hotspot to access cellular services provide by your iPhone’s cellular connection.

More information about using Continuity to access iPhone Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

WiFi Calling

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling – Apple Support

A further alternative for a WiFi Only iPad is to obtain a portable Cellular router (also known as MiFi) from your chosen Cellular Carrier. The cost is likely to be greater than the cost differential between WiFi+Cellular and WiFi only models of iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 10:25 AM in response to lacy278

Be aware that you cannot add or change iPad hardware. Hardware capabilities are fixed during manufacture; Cellular capabilities cannot be retrofitted as no cellular components or antennas are fitted.

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model does not commit you to using Cellular features - nor are you committed to arranging a cellular airtime contract until (or if) you later choose to do so. However, purchasing a WiFi+Cellular model in preference to a WiFi Only model does preserve the flexibility to do so at a later time.

WiFi+Cellular models of iPad also include GPS capabilities. WiFi Only models have no GPS capabilities at all.

If you do choose a WiFi Only model, when paired with an iPhone, you can use the iPhone hotspot to access cellular services provide by your iPhone’s cellular connection.

More information about using Continuity to access iPhone Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

WiFi Calling

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling – Apple Support

A further alternative for a WiFi Only iPad is to obtain a portable Cellular router (also known as MiFi) from your chosen Cellular Carrier. The cost is likely to be greater than the cost differential between WiFi+Cellular and WiFi only models of iPad.

wireless vs cellular data on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.