Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I download a 'home video' from my iTunes library onto my iPhone (apple tv app)?

I have a home-recorded video in my iTunes Library (Mac Mini). I can connect my iPad and copy ("sync") selected videos from the library onto the iPad, when the iPad mounts as a 'device' in iTunes.

However, when I do a similar thing with my iPhone (a new iPhone 12), it does mount as a device in iTunes and I see it in iTunes (left sidebar). But when I check any of its sub-areas (Movies, TV Shows) they are empty, except for Music (which has a couple of audiobooks) -- and the video categories remain empty even after I do a 'sync'.

On the iPad, I can select videos (when set on the Library/Home Videos left-sidebar) and 'drag' the videos onto the iPad icon in the left sidebar. That works nicely. When I try the same thing when the iPhone is connected, nothing happens. Alternatively, I can select the iPhone icon in the left sidebar and (right-click) select Sync. iTunes shows that it's going through 4 steps but nothing ends up on the iPhone (in its Apple TV app).

What can I try next?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 11:10 AM

See Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support.

Select the device with this icon to set your sync selections:

tt2

6 replies

Feb 1, 2021 4:50 PM in response to turingtest2

It is inconsistent but here is what appears to be happening.

1) In my iTunes Library these are classified as Home Videos.

2) When I drag them (sync) onto my iPad, they show up as Movies.

3) Then, when I launch the AppleTV app on the iPad (or iPhone) they appear again as Home Videos. (They also show up in Downloaded.)

"Home Video" is something of an odd duck. In iTunes it isn't listed in the top area drop-down that lists Music, Movies, TV Shows, etc. When "Movie" is selected, I can switch between Movie and Home Video in the left sidebar. And when I encode with (say) Handbrake I don't have a choice of this classification. I would like everything to be "Movie" but they come out as "Home Video" (which I suppose make sense because they are video and I'm creating them at home). I haven't been able to determine what property of the video file governs this code.

I like (and use) the 3 classifications (because I do have movies, home videos, and tv shows and to me they are distinct types), but I would like to see the 3 treated equally and consistently, both in iTunes and on AppleTV apps.

Thanks again for helping me get this sorted.

Feb 1, 2021 2:02 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. That solved most of my issue. (My eyes were missing that tiny iPhone icon nearer the top!)

There is still some odd behavior between the iPhone & iTune. The videos I'm wanting to copy to the phone are typed as "Home Videos" (a kind of "Movie") in iTunes. That type doesn't show up on the iPhone, but does on the iPad.

That said, by turning on the 'sync' of the iPhone in iTunes (using that little icon), I am now able to drag/drop the videos from iTunes (where they are Home Videos) onto my iPhone (where they are presented as "Movie" types). It's a bit confusing but, hey, at least it gets the job done.

Much appreciated!

Why can't I download a 'home video' from my iTunes library onto my iPhone (apple tv app)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.