Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I inadvertently deleted a tune from my iTunes library on my computer.

I inadvertently deleted a tune from my iTunes library on my laptop as it was duplicated there but one copy would not play. As luck would have it, I deleted the working copy. I then found that the working copy was still on my iPod so I did a sync thinking that it would be moved from the iPod back to the laptop. WRONG. However, I found the deleted copy in the Trash. Quite obviously, I'm not knowledgeable in such matters, so I decided to ask here for advice before I mess it up any further. How can I get the song back to my iTunes library on the laptop and then back onto the iPod as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 1:25 PM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2021 2:00 PM in response to Added Value

Copy the file from the trash into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder in your iTunes Media folder. Usually ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media where ~ is your Home folder. Test the entry/entries in your library. If there is more than one and the oldest one (by date added) now plays delete the others, but don't send to the trash when prompted. That will preserve your ratings, plays, playlist membership, etc.

tt2

I inadvertently deleted a tune from my iTunes library on my computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.