Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail will not go away

Operational details: Mac OS Big Sur 11.1, circa 2015 iMac

I use Microsoft Outlook for Mac, not Apple Mail. To hide Apple Mail, I have tried checking "Remove from Dock" and unchecking "Open at Login." Both appear to be no-ops, because not only do they not work, if I go back and look, they have been reset. By dragging the icon off the dock, I can make it go away temporarily, but when I restart my computer, there it is again.

As noted, my OS is up to date, but this problem predates the current version.

Questions:

1. How do I permanently keep Mail off the dock and prevent it from starting at login?
  2. Is there any harm in removing Mail entirely? Is it even possible?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 3:46 PM

Hi redactor887,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you'd like to delete the Mail app from your Mac, or at the very least, remove it from the Dock, correct? If so, we would love to help see if we can get the issue resolved for you. Although you wouldn't be able to remove the app, you should be able to remove it from your dock. We've provided a link below to help, as well as a summary of quick steps.

Use the Dock on Mac

If you right click on the app icon in the Dock, then Options, make sure nothing is selected there.

If those are the steps you took, and the app still shows when it isn't opened, or reappears when you restart, it would likely be related to your Login Items. Are you logged in with System Administrator privileges? If so, you will want to follow the below link to remove the Mail app if it is listed in there. You'll want to make sure you tap the lock to save the setting once you deselect and move it.

Change Users & Groups Login Items preferences on Mac

With those settings correctly set, the Mail app should only appear in your Dock when it is opened.

Please let us know how it goes!. We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 3:46 PM in response to redactor887

Hi redactor887,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you'd like to delete the Mail app from your Mac, or at the very least, remove it from the Dock, correct? If so, we would love to help see if we can get the issue resolved for you. Although you wouldn't be able to remove the app, you should be able to remove it from your dock. We've provided a link below to help, as well as a summary of quick steps.

Use the Dock on Mac

If you right click on the app icon in the Dock, then Options, make sure nothing is selected there.

If those are the steps you took, and the app still shows when it isn't opened, or reappears when you restart, it would likely be related to your Login Items. Are you logged in with System Administrator privileges? If so, you will want to follow the below link to remove the Mail app if it is listed in there. You'll want to make sure you tap the lock to save the setting once you deselect and move it.

Change Users & Groups Login Items preferences on Mac

With those settings correctly set, the Mail app should only appear in your Dock when it is opened.

Please let us know how it goes!. We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Apple Mail will not go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.