Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to separate a picture from a stack?

On my Desktop I have "Screen Shots" stack, which holds all my screenshots and is very useful since I have a lot of them. However, there is one screenshot there which I need to look at very often to and I would like it to be placed on my desktop directly (not inside the stack). I can move that screenshot to a different folder, but when I move it back to Desktop, it goes into the Screen Shots stack right back. It is very strange because I am able to place some other .png files on my Desktop, so the system somehow tracks which .png is a screenshot and which one is not, and all screenshots go right into the stack.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 5:19 AM

If it is a single screenshot image that you access often, drag and drop it onto your Dock, where a single-click will open it in Preview. As this is just an alias, it still remains in the Screen Shots stack but is now directly addressable.

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 2, 2021 5:23 AM in response to madamiamadam

madamiamadam wrote:

On my Desktop I have "Screen Shots" stack, which holds all my screenshots and is very useful since I have a lot of them. However, there is one screenshot there which I need to look at very often to and I would like it to be placed on my desktop directly (not inside the stack). I can move that screenshot to a different folder, but when I move it back to Desktop, it goes into the Screen Shots stack right back. It is very strange because I am able to place some other .png files on my Desktop, so the system somehow tracks which .png is a screenshot and which one is not, and all screenshots go right into the stack.

You can make changes to Desktop if necessary. Control click on the Desktop...unstack / sort by None / etc

If the stack is in your Dock, hold the Command Option key to open the stack in Finder, drag it to your Desktop or Dock

Feb 2, 2021 5:31 AM in response to madamiamadam

Instead of having all your Screenshots just saved to the Desktop.

You could create a Screenshots folder, put all your screenshots in there.

Open the Screenshot app, click on Options and select Other Location for the destination where the

screenshots will behaved, select the Screenshot folder.

You can now open the Screenshot folder and move the screenshot you need often and move it to the Desktop.

All screenshots you now take will go straight to the Screenshot folder you created.

How to separate a picture from a stack?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.