Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Deleting zip files

When I download a zip file using Safari in Big Sur 11.2 (and other older version of macOS), the downloaded file is automatically expanded with Archive Utility, and the zip file placed in the trash. I do not want this to happen.

I have changed the preferences in Archive Utility to make it place the expanded file in the same location as the Archive and for the Archive to be left alone. This works for any zip file I open manually with the Archive Utility, but when I download a file, it automatically does what it has always done, and trashed the zip file.

Why can I not make Safari not change the preferences? Does Safari even use Archive Utility?

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 9:11 AM

iamdavid99 Said:

"Safari Deleting zip files: When I download a zip file using Safari in Big Sur 11.2 (and other older version of macOS), the downloaded file is automatically expanded with Archive Utility, and the zip file placed in the trash. I do not want this to happen.[...]"

-------

How to Fix This:

1. Open: Safari
  2. Go to: Safari menu
  3. Select: Preferences
  4. Select: General tab
  5. Uncheck: "Open Safe Files After Downloading"

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2021 9:11 AM in response to iamdavid99

iamdavid99 Said:

"Safari Deleting zip files: When I download a zip file using Safari in Big Sur 11.2 (and other older version of macOS), the downloaded file is automatically expanded with Archive Utility, and the zip file placed in the trash. I do not want this to happen.[...]"

-------

How to Fix This:

1. Open: Safari
  2. Go to: Safari menu
  3. Select: Preferences
  4. Select: General tab
  5. Uncheck: "Open Safe Files After Downloading"

Feb 2, 2021 9:14 AM in response to iamdavid99

iamdavid99 Said:

-------

Use "Save As":

Another option would be:

1. Control-Click: the file
  2. Select: "Download Linked File as..."
  3. Proceed from there with the download

Safari Deleting zip files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.