Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pressing sleep appears to sleep my mac but in the morning it is sometimes hot to touch, sometimes cold, can we have a warning if anything is preventing the mac from sleeping when the sleep command is pressed?

Many processes and applications prevent sleep on a mac. When I select the 'sleep' command from the apple menu, it switches off the monitor and it appears the mac is sleeping. However, when I come to my machine the next day the mac will sometimes be hot to to the touch and I discover it has been on all night. The reason is something, in my case a third party app, is running with the 'Preventing Sleep' configuration.

This is really poor for a few reasons

1. The screen and lights switching off gives me feedback the sleep command is successful even when it is not, this is really poor user experience
  2. Convservation of energy is a very important due to the climate crisis and this problem, multiplied by the millions of macbooks in the world; Apple need to do the bare minimum
  3. If am travelling and don't have my macbook plugged in, then the battery will run out very quickly which could be really problematic

Please can we have a notification pop up on the screen to notify the user if something is preventing sleep and the laptop won't enter full sleep? This will help user experience, make the mac more energy efficient and prevent unnecessary battery depletion.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 5:29 AM

atreeon wrote:

Many processes and applications prevent sleep on a mac. When I select the 'sleep' command from the apple menu, it switches off the monitor and it appears the mac is sleeping.

Please can we have a notification pop up on the screen to notify the user if something is preventing sleep and the laptop won't enter full sleep? This will help user experience, make the mac more energy efficient and prevent unnecessary battery depletion.

Hmmm— Simply close the lid will put the Mac asleep appropriately .

If you prefer to lock the screen before you close the lid Control Command Q will psswd protect the account upon lifting the lid.

If you continue to have an issue— make changes to >System Preferences>Battery> Both Power Adapter & Battery> Disable the "Power Nap" feature. This is a known issue.

Only after some testing this new method of sleep, and changes to preferences your issue continues—

Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

You can submit your user request for features here—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 5:29 AM in response to atreeon

atreeon wrote:

Many processes and applications prevent sleep on a mac. When I select the 'sleep' command from the apple menu, it switches off the monitor and it appears the mac is sleeping.

Hmmm— Simply close the lid will put the Mac asleep appropriately .

If you prefer to lock the screen before you close the lid Control Command Q will psswd protect the account upon lifting the lid.

If you continue to have an issue— make changes to >System Preferences>Battery> Both Power Adapter & Battery> Disable the "Power Nap" feature. This is a known issue.

Only after some testing this new method of sleep, and changes to preferences your issue continues—

Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

You can submit your user request for features here—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Pressing sleep appears to sleep my mac but in the morning it is sometimes hot to touch, sometimes cold, can we have a warning if anything is preventing the mac from sleeping when the sleep command is pressed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.